How to use 3 or 6 bar scenes in Maschine ?

S Righteous
S Righteous Member Posts: 148 Helper

I have a few songs where there are patterns which are 3 bars, these sync up with all the other patterns every 6 bars. So most of the patterns in the scene are 1 bar, or 2 bar, but I made one pattern 6 bars so that all other patterns will end at the exact same time - basically all patterns are on beat 1 after 6 bars. Great this loops perfectly.

In the grid I have quantize for arrange set to "scene" so I can select the new scene at any time, and have the next scene play, only after the first scene is completed. Which is after bar 6.

The problem is that Maschine is trying to do something clever, and when it goes to the next scene, it doesn't start at the beginning, so I hear my 6 bars of scene 1, the last 2 bars of scene 2, then Scene 2 loops and starts from the beginning. Very frustrating.

Is there some setting to prevent this from trying to keep everything in 4 bar chunks?

Best Answer

• S Righteous
    Answer ✓

I found it !

It isn't with the grid options where you can set the beat, bar or scene (as I have it set). So not like the software at all.

There is a separate option on the Scene page left screen, which just lists: Perform - Retrigger and a knob to set it to on or off. It does exactly what I need. Weird place to put it though. Thanks for the help, I didn't know what this was named, Retrigger seems like a weird name, and the feedback helped me find it.

Answers

• S Righteous

I made a very simple project to confirm what I was seeing. Just two drum kits. The first scene only has one pattern from group one, and it's three bars long. The second scene has only one pattern from Group 2 and its four bars long.

When the first scene is playing, I can see that the second scene is also playing, just not selected or heard, so switching scenes does not allow me to have scene 2 start at its first beat when scene 1 ends. Basically when I switch to scene 2, it's already in progress and you transition to it midway through.

There has to be a setting to correct this, as it just seems wrong. Other hardware allows scenes to play independently of each other, and play end to end.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    edited November 2022

a video would better explain what you are trying to achieve..

on the surface from what i have initially read, is the sequence is coming off a pattern too late... or a pattern too early when a scene transitions??

you could make a duplicate pattern and shift the start & end of the pattern loop to begin earlier or later perhaps? or extend the duplicated pattern

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru

Isn't this what the retrigger option is for?

https://nativeinstruments.github.io/ni-tech-manuals/maschine-software-manual/en/working-with-the-arranger.html#jumping-between-scene-or-sections-in-the-software

The next time you select a new Scene/Section or group of Scenes/Sections for looping, the new loop will start from the beginning of the first Scene/Section (Retrigger activated) or from the same position as where it left the current Scene/Section (Retrigger deactivated).

• Jaheid19
    Jaheid19 Member Posts: 36 Member

I know what your saying. This happens sometimes in Ideas view when your patterns are different lengths and your changing scenes. It's not a sync issue your patterns are just different.

Solution. While in Ideas view Hold Scene, Append Button at the Top and place your scenes in order.

NOW. Go to the Arranger and switch to SONG and it should play the way you imagine.

• Mike Vamp
    Mike Vamp Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2022

Depending on how you want to perform, you may use "retrigger" (like darkwaves mentioned) so it starts at beat 1 and then you choose when you want to let it "retrigger", after a whole scene, 1 bar, 1/4 note, etc

With your MK3 you can also turn instantly "retrigger" on/off, whilst you select your running scene.

Otherwise, arrange your scenes to a song and make sure you change them into individual "clips", in case you want to modify your scenes in your arrangement.

• S Righteous

Yes, this seems like it would do the trick. But on Maschine Plus hardware, this option does not appear.

Is this a software only option?

In fact when I do a search for 'retrigger' in the M+ manual, nothing comes up. . . ?

• S Righteous

Also, sorry for not specifying that I'm on Maschine Plus - I assumed this kind of functionality would be global to all variations of Maschine.

• S Righteous
    Answer ✓

I found it !

It isn't with the grid options where you can set the beat, bar or scene (as I have it set). So not like the software at all.

There is a separate option on the Scene page left screen, which just lists: Perform - Retrigger and a knob to set it to on or off. It does exactly what I need. Weird place to put it though. Thanks for the help, I didn't know what this was named, Retrigger seems like a weird name, and the feedback helped me find it.