using Komplete Kontrol in Garageband (newbie question)

colmosiris
colmosiris Member Posts: 10 Member

I have a Komplete Kontrol S25 and a MacBook Pro running OS 10.14. I've installed everything from Native Access, but I have no idea how to find them in Garageband. Native Instruments does appear if I select a plugin for a track, but there's very little there, and no instruments.

Perhaps there's still something else I need to do? I am a musician with so far very little knowledge of these things. I have a Casio MIDI electric piano, and I can use that ok in Garageband, but this Komplete Kontrol keyboard has got me beat! Many thanks for reading.

Best Answers

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

I'm not a mac user so i don't know garage band but this looks to me like a list of FX, you have to create an instrument track and insert it there as first plugin.

• colmosiris

thanks Uwe303. i thought i'd already done that, but now i'm not so sure. i'm in touch with someone at NI now, so hopefully they can help me get started.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,305 mod
    Answer ✓

@colmosiris Did you check the "lower security" part of this article? How to Insert Native Instruments Plug-ins in GarageBand

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Do Komplete Kontrol and Garageband both have Full Disk Access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

• colmosiris
    edited November 2022

thank you. no, they don't. so far, people keep telling me to do that, but no-one has explained why. i know how to do it (though no software has ever asked me to do this before), not why. please can you explain? thank you.

• colmosiris

ok, i've done that now, because i just wanted to get on with it. don't like it though. and restarted the computer, but as it happens it made naff-all difference anyway. i can still see no instruments, only effects, as per original image.

it would be SO, SO, SO helpful if there were a user guide for this machine, rather than the long and complex document, most of which i don't understand (i'm a musician, not a technician). it's a reference manual, not a user's manual. i'm thinking now i should sell the thing, which would be a shame, as I know it's a pretty powerful device.

• Uwe303

Have you tried to follow this step by step, as I said you try to insert an instrument on an FX slot, and that of course will not work.https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210292525-How-to-Insert-Native-Instruments-Plug-ins-in-GarageBand

• colmosiris
    edited November 2022

thanks very much. yes, i've done all that. not entirely sure what you mean by "you try to insert an instrument on an FX slot"? i followed that page very carefully. i opened a new Software Instrument track, and it was automatically assigned to 'Classic Electric Piano'. i opened Plugins, and i got the image as above. even in the example page, there are no instruments, only things with weird names that mean nothing to me. Absynth, Battery, Kontakt, Massive etc. where are the drums, the strings, etc? Native Access claims to have installed all these things, a huge list, that took most of a day, but i can see none of them. they are the reason i bought this keyboard in the first place.

what i really need is a User Guide that goes through everything in stages. without it, i think i may as well sell this keyboard, as sadly i haven't got the time or the energy that apparently i need to learn how to use it. this would be a shame. there is a manual, a very long and detailed one, but it's a reference document, rather than a how-to, which is what i need.

for instance, i have no idea what the bank of buttons and knobs above the actual keys do. i think the manual only works if you already know all the terminology.

it would be very useful for me if i understood the structure of the relationship between the hardware and all the software, instruments, apps, effects, and whatever. some of it seems pretty convoluted. or rather Konvoluted. Komplete Kontrol seems to be the keyboard, an app, and a plugin. how do they relate to each other? thanks.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

The strings and drums are in kontakt, kontakt is a sampler where you can then load all the sampled instruments you look for. And you use a native keyboard so you have to open komplete kontrol if you see that. So i misunderstood you in the first post, where you said you don't see instruments from native instruments at all, but now you say you see some but don't know what they are about. But ok if that is all new to you this is normal and all that will take a while to get used to. So komplete kontrol is the bridge between all native instruments stuff and your keyboard. You load only komplete kontrol as instrument!! Then you can browse sounds directly from the keyboard and play them.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

Maybe this helps a bit https://youtu.be/RLjC5IfcNQI

• Uwe303

Would be sad if you sell it, in my opinion it's worth the effort to learn all this, you will have so many good instruments and you can play them, browse, stack them and so on.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

If you are a musician, treat your experience with the software just as you would have done learning an instrument. Don't expect to just install, open and know how it all works on day 1, it may take some time to build your knowledge especially if you have little to no knowledge on how a DAW works or how a MIDI keyboard works. You are at the equivalent level of someone not knowing how to find a C note on their instrument of choice.

Download manuals on your phone and flick through them when you are stuck waiting somewhere, write notes on what you are stuck on, set aside time and try and answer just one of these questions at a time... "What are all these buttons above the keys...", open the manual and have a look at what they all are.

U'll get there and be glad you spent the time to learn one day.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited November 2022

Full Disk Access is a security feature, introduced in macOS Mojave, that requires applications to be given full permission to access user-protected files. If not enabled, some data on the Mac will not be accessible.

In previous macOS versions, this permission was automatically given during installation.

Also our article explains it in it's first sentence: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

It may be necessary to grant Full Disk Access to certain Native Instruments apps in order for them to work correctly. More information on Full Disk Access can be found on the Apple website.