Are users finding that a Roland EV5 expression pedal with S88 keyboard actually works?

keefycal
keefycal Member Posts: 22 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I have tried to follow the instructions on setting up the EV5 as in the manual, but I cannot get it to work. I note that it was rated as compatible with the S88 and after a few years of being boxed up, recently took it out of retirement.

After setting up, I find that in the 'down' position, I get a clear 'maximum' signal, but as I open to the 'up' position the sound breaks up and the indicator on my Spitfire sample editor moves erratically. Any ideas, please?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey Keith,

You can check this article, there is a section where you can calibrate the expression pedal:

How to Configure Sustain / Expression Pedals on KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboards

Expression (Pedal B)

1. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    2. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    3. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    4. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 11.

The additional parameters Invert and Swap T/R allow you to further customize the assignment according to the characteristics of your expression pedal model. Please consult the KOMPLETE KONTROL user manual as well as your pedal's documentation for more info. You may also Calibrate your pedal to ensure that the KOMPLETE KONTROL software interprets the full continuous RANGE correctly.

The complete assignment for Expression is summarized in the image below.

If you do that and that your pedal is still erratic, then the pedal is most probably faulty. It coud be worth checking the pedal on another keyboard or device.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Mgblaze88 This part: "It seems to be competing with the mod wheel or Touch Bar." could be the result of a wrong MIDI assignment. You can do the following:

Clear MIDI assignments:

• Open Komplete Kontrol in standalone with your keyboard connected.
    • Click on the MIDI icon
    • Double check that no button or any other parameter is set to MIDI CC 64 or 65 (sustain)
    • To be sure, you can reset the MIDI template to default by clicking the + sight on the left.

Now disconnect the keyboard, click on the MIDI logo, 

• Check if there isn’t any MIDI CC64 or 65 assigned to any of the knobs :
    • Click on the x to unassign any CC message.
    • Repeat the process for the buttons : 

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @keefycal You can check the MIDI output of the pedal in the keyboard with MIDI Monitor or MIDI Ox:

How to Monitor the Input of a MIDI Controller

Do you also get erratic readings from the pedal, even when the Komplete Kontrol application or your DAW is closed ? It's a commen issue with expression pedals (I personnaly have 2 Moog pedals where this happens.)

• keefycal

Hi Jeremy

Many thanks for your informative response. I have tried the MIDI Ox and can confitm that my expression pedal is identified, and whilst the pedal is 'down', I get a stable 127 displayed. However, as soon as I alter my foot position the 127 (in the Expression 'box') flickers erraticly.

Yes. The same thing happens when I use the standalone option.

Are you implying that the pedal may be faulty, or is it possible that I have an incorrect parameter setting?

Once again thank you. I would be great to resolve this issue.

Keith

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey Keith,

You can check this article, there is a section where you can calibrate the expression pedal:

How to Configure Sustain / Expression Pedals on KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboards

Expression (Pedal B)

1. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    2. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    3. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    4. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 11.

The additional parameters Invert and Swap T/R allow you to further customize the assignment according to the characteristics of your expression pedal model. Please consult the KOMPLETE KONTROL user manual as well as your pedal's documentation for more info. You may also Calibrate your pedal to ensure that the KOMPLETE KONTROL software interprets the full continuous RANGE correctly.

The complete assignment for Expression is summarized in the image below.

If you do that and that your pedal is still erratic, then the pedal is most probably faulty. It coud be worth checking the pedal on another keyboard or device.

• Mgblaze88
    Mgblaze88 Member Posts: 4 Member

I am having a similar issue, brand new S88 MK2, currently running KK13 Ultimate so not the latest version of Kontact. MI MacBook Pro/Ventura running in stand alone mode, S88 plugged directly into the Thunderbolt (USB4) jack using a USB adapter but not a hub. Followed the "B" pedal instruction for expression, (sustain pedal works fine in the "a" pedal) but the swell is all over the place when trying to work vintage organ sounds. It seems to be competing with the mod wheel or Touch Bar. Tried calibrating, inverting, flipping tip/ring settings and no luck. Also, this is a brand new Yamaha FC7 volume/expression pedal from the approved list, I also tried an old Roland EP5 and that didn't work either. This seems to be a setting/configuraion issue. I have not found solution, yet!

• keefycal

It was a long time ago, but I finally got it working. I understand your frustration - but for me, I took the pedal (EV5) apart, and gave the pot. a good squirt of switch cleaner (I think over the years of not using it,it had got dirty). It now responds quite smoothly. I'm sorry I can't help any further. When the system works it's wonderful, but when it doesn't (and I've had a problems from the first day) - even with well meaning 'help' you feel like your the only one!

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Mgblaze88 This part: "It seems to be competing with the mod wheel or Touch Bar." could be the result of a wrong MIDI assignment. You can do the following:

Clear MIDI assignments:

• Open Komplete Kontrol in standalone with your keyboard connected.
    • Click on the MIDI icon
    • Double check that no button or any other parameter is set to MIDI CC 64 or 65 (sustain)
    • To be sure, you can reset the MIDI template to default by clicking the + sight on the left.

Now disconnect the keyboard, click on the MIDI logo, 

• Check if there isn’t any MIDI CC64 or 65 assigned to any of the knobs :
    • Click on the x to unassign any CC message.
    • Repeat the process for the buttons : 

• Mgblaze88

Thank you Jeremy_NI, I will work through this tonight and reply with the results!

• Mgblaze88

It works! The initial learning curve is a little steep but I am getting there. The expression pedal and sustain pedal functions are working the way I want them to. The next thing is to figure out how to turn off the preview sounds so that it won’t be annoying during a live performance:). It may not be an issue once I start working in my DAW, but for now I am considering stand alone.

• Jeremy_NI

That's great to hear! To turn the previews off, you need to click on that little speaker to grey it out.

• Mgblaze88

This community is fantastic! Thank you for the help. I was able to get through a show this week with the new S88 and pedals. It was a game time decision and it worked. I did not use standalone mode but everything worked well within Reason which is how I did it before I purchased the S88. Once I have a better handle on Komplete Kontrol I’m hoping to do gigs in standalone so I can better utilize the encoders and screens on the S88, step by step.