Is there an ongoing overhead for installed expansions?

mtumi
mtumi Member Posts: 15 Member

Hi -

I have one of the bigger Komplete packages, and as such I have MANY expansions. I appreciate having all these sounds at my fingertips, but I wonder if there is an overhead associated with having them all installed? I KNOW there is an overhead whenever I have to reinstall or rebuild the library, but wondering if I am not writing any techno if I should just uninstall techno expansions and other expansions I am unlikely to use to make things work better and go wrong less frequently, or if there is basically no overhead once the install is done and the library rebuilt to correctly reflect every expansion.

Thanks in advance for the info!

(Currently waiting for the very slow rebuild of my library after the install of the native M1 Maschine on what should be a fast M1 Macbook Pro)

M

Best Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod
    Answer ✓

No there is no overhead as far as I know.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Overhead in terms of slowing down the software? I never noticed anything. Users with insane amounts of custom packs with images have reported a slow browser before tho.

Lately I have been working to remove expansions from genres I don't need, not due to performance issues but simply because having a ton of stuff I'll never use makes browsing very inefficient, even when using tags. The expansion thumbnails also look a like so much sometimes i stare at them for a while before i find the one i am looking for... In this context I feel like having a more concise browser is a benefit.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Answer ✓

The worst thing NI and many other sample suppliers ever did was "This pack is for Techno" etc etc, never ever take any notice of that rubbish, NOBODY gets to tell you what to use in your music, or what genres HAVE to sound like.

No overhead, install them all, explore them all ;)

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

No there is no overhead as far as I know.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Overhead in terms of slowing down the software? I never noticed anything. Users with insane amounts of custom packs with images have reported a slow browser before tho.

Lately I have been working to remove expansions from genres I don't need, not due to performance issues but simply because having a ton of stuff I'll never use makes browsing very inefficient, even when using tags. The expansion thumbnails also look a like so much sometimes i stare at them for a while before i find the one i am looking for... In this context I feel like having a more concise browser is a benefit.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Answer ✓

The worst thing NI and many other sample suppliers ever did was "This pack is for Techno" etc etc, never ever take any notice of that rubbish, NOBODY gets to tell you what to use in your music, or what genres HAVE to sound like.

No overhead, install them all, explore them all ;)

• mtumi
    mtumi Member Posts: 15 Member

Thanks all!

• Uwe303

absolutely i use every sample i like, no matter what labels it has