Kontakt Player - Butch Vig Drums - Logic Pro - Multiple Outs

CheapSuitG
CheapSuitG Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited February 2022 in Kontakt

Hi!

Recently dove into the NI world. So far, loving it but need help with Multiple outs Kontakt Player - Butch Vig Drums - Logic Pro - M1 Big Sur

What I am looking, taking each pad as its own track into logic. While I demo and track at home, my collaborators and studio that does my mixing would like individual tracks and would like them to trigger other samples/side chain etc and need the flexibility.

I have followed this tutorial but when I try a pad to check assignment, it crashes logic.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209558589-Using-KONTAKT-as-a-Multi-timbral-Instrument-in-Logic-Pro-X

Thanks!

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Please don't use mono channels with Butch Vig Drums. Make them all stereo and it will be good then (most soundsources in BVD are also sampled in stereo anyways). There's a known crash in Kontakt when effects are routed to mono output channels.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Have you tried assigning the direct outs to the pads in Kontakt standalone, then saving the NKI ( indicating it is multi out), then loading that NKI when using as a Plugin? I know that does not solve the issue with it crashing in the first place, but might be a workaround for now. And do note, that using direct outs bypasses some of the Internal effects of BVD, so you may not get the same “Sound”!!!

• CheapSuitG

Tried stand alone. Crashed.

Also tried with Hybrid Keys but crashed as well.

Just a pain to record each track separate (I can do it in one pass with multiple instances)

I will keep tinkering

• EvilDragon

I would suggest first creating new outputs in an empty instance of Kontakt, before any instrument is loaded. For example, add 16 stereo tracks. Then save that as default for the plugin. Then reload Kontakt, and THEN load BVD.

• CheapSuitG

Still shuts down on me.

I will keep trying

• CheapSuitG

Even in standalone it crashes when I hit "Kit" with multiple outs

• eglmett
    eglmett Member Posts: 2 Member

I was trying that with BVD too...there appears to be only 2 outputs possible from the GUI...and even then, I couldn't get separate pads to separate outputs. I wanted to do the exact same thing you are trying - having each pad a separate channel in the DAW.

I tried what EvilDragon recommended: instantiate multiple output instrument, then load BVD.

No luck here. I ended up sampling the sounds and used Battery.

• CheapSuitG

Got it set up. Sorta.

Direct outs to busses to tracks

Still crashes

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

might want to put in a support ticket...especially since it keeps crashing...

• EvilDragon

Can you please screenshot how the Output panel looks for you in Kontakt AU?

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Hey @CheapSuitG, let us know how the troubleshooting is going 🙌

• CheapSuitG

Sorry for the delay, was out with covid.

See the screen shot. I got a result but it is not stable and crashes. In fact, the only time it worked was when I first got it to work

• EvilDragon
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Please don't use mono channels with Butch Vig Drums. Make them all stereo and it will be good then (most soundsources in BVD are also sampled in stereo anyways). There's a known crash in Kontakt when effects are routed to mono output channels.