Anyone have trouble loading multiple instruments in Kontakt with Bandlab

jmbalich
jmbalich Member Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2022 in Kontakt

I cannot successfully have multiple instruments in a single Kontakt instance. I can LOAD more than one instrument giving each its own midi channel, BUT THE SECOND INSTRUMENT NEVER SOUNDS

Example: (see if I can explain coherently)

Load a piano and assign to midi one, track one. The I add strings and assign to midi 2, channel two. Only the piano will sound. If I mute the piano track the second track will now sound............but with the piano sound. some kind of crosstalk going on. The only way to get several instruments is to load an instance of Kontakt for EACH instrument. help!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

OK, each instrument would require its own midi track routed to the Instance of Kontakt and assigned the output midi channel that corresponds to the instrument for that track. To do that, open the "Inspector View" and assign the track to output on the proper midi channel (see screenshot). Then you would draw notes into the Staff view for each individual Midi Track. You can switch tracks by going to "Tracks" above the staff view and clicking "Pick Track".

If you need further explanation, let me know!

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Not sure what you mean, but if all is good then let's not mess with it...

Answers

• jmbalich

to clarify i hope...............one instrument in will sound in Kontakt. Never more. The first instrument will sound. The second will not. if i remove the first instrument the second will now sound.

• Blindeddie

First what OS are you on? and Standalone or VST? if VST, what DAW? What Kind of Midi KB/Controller are you using. If on Win and Standalone, make sure you don't have "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" in Midi Prefs, as that may be the source of the "Phantom" Piano Sound. Post the answers to the questions above, and we can take this to the next step.

• jmbalich

Windows 10 VST Bandlab Cakewalk Scoring in "Staff" view using mouse

Thank you

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

OK, each instrument would require its own midi track routed to the Instance of Kontakt and assigned the output midi channel that corresponds to the instrument for that track. To do that, open the "Inspector View" and assign the track to output on the proper midi channel (see screenshot). Then you would draw notes into the Staff view for each individual Midi Track. You can switch tracks by going to "Tracks" above the staff view and clicking "Pick Track".

If you need further explanation, let me know!

• jmbalich

this screenshot is how my inspector looks. My normal sequence is to insert a couple of midi tracks. then i open kontakt. I select two instruments in the same instance of kontakt. assign each to a channel (i.e. channels 1 and and 2). next i go to track view and assign each to a midi channel, corresponding to the channels assigned in kontakt view. After entering notes in each track, (staff view) i hit playback and only one instrument will sound.

• jmbalich

to put it another way........................if i have two instruments each assigned properly.....only one will sound. if I MUTE the sounding track the other track will now sound

• Blindeddie

post a screenshot of the inspector for the two midi tracks... I replicated your setup and it works fine for me... if midi track 1 is selected, the instrument assigned to that channel plays, select Midi track 2, the instrument assigned to that channel plays. Your screenshot is of the inspector for the Instrument track, not the Midi tracks

• jmbalich

thanks for your very patient help! I hope I can use only a little of your time. how do i access inspector for instrument track as you suggested?

• Blindeddie

If the inspector is open (like in your screenshot) click on the track number of the midi track to select it...the inspector should change to that track.

• jmbalich

do you think re-installing Kontakt might help?

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Nope this doesn't seem like a Kontakt issue at all. I've no problems accessing multiple instruments in a single Kontakt instances in: Reaper, Bitwig, FL20, Studio One, Maschine...

• jmbalich

solved! apparently Bandlab Cakewalk prefers that I add instruments via the track inspector. All is well now running several instruments in one instance of Kontakt! I can't thank you enough for taking time to coach a newbie.

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Not sure what you mean, but if all is good then let's not mess with it...