Scanning VSTs very slow after upgrade

schorsch
schorsch Member Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I upgraded Komplete Kontrol to Version 2.8.0 (R25) // Scanning VSTs takes a very long time.

Details:

Workstation: Windows 11. Super machine for gaming and I7:

After upgrade KK and Running first time (not as plugin but standalone) it took so far more than around 5 hours but still working on "scanning VSTs". Installed instruments via NAccess 148.

What can I do?

Best Answer

• schorsch
    Answer ✓

No, it was not NI plugins I had to uninstall.

As I did not an technical investigation as to why those plugins from other companies did not work on my machine I do not want that those companies get a bad name.

Info if others run into similar problems:

I did start KK stand olone and then the splash screen appeared.

Then Scanning VST with the name of the VST plugin appeared. In case that name did stay there for more than one minute I noted the name and did a reboot. Then I found ot the company that made that plugin and then found out how to uninstall. Then I did an uninstall and re startet KK. In case the next plugin scan hang had the same company that programmed it I uninstalled every plugin from that company.

Later when finished I started standalone Machine 2 after update. There I had also one scan hang. As that plugin had a newer one installed I uninstalled that old version.

Now it is fine.

Answers

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited November 2022

Sounds like a looming hard drive error.

Better check your disk with a tool which can read SMART values. Like this: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

I just scanned my VST's with Komplete Kontrol 2.8.0 yesterday, and, it took as long as usual here.

• schorsch

Additional info:

I did have a closer look at the behaviour of KK VST scanning.

It looks like that if I would have only NI plugins then this problem would be non existent. But I have lots of other VST plugin stuff. Trials too. And those could be the source of the slowdowns.

I could clean that up (very time consuming) or reinstall my workstation (also very time consuming) or wait a day or two.

Best would be that the scanning of VSTs could be interrupted. Then I could choose which path are not to be scanned. Maybe something for the next releases?

• chk071
    edited November 2022

"I did have a closer look at the behaviour of KK VST scanning.

It looks like that if I would have only NI plugins then this problem would be non existent. But I have lots of other VST plugin stuff. Trials too."

Me too. 5 hours is definitely not normal.

As I mentioned, sounds like a looming hard drive failure to me. This kind of "couldn't read, will try again" with stuff scanned on your hard drive is typical for that.

• schorsch

I did check my SSD and HDD. No error.

So I took the long road to uninstall many of my plugins I anyway never use.

Now scanning VST works.

I did not investigate why scanning hangs in those plugins.

• chk071

Ok. Must have been one of your plugins then, maybe even a corrupted installation.

Glad it works now though. ☺️

• schorsch
    Answer ✓

No, it was not NI plugins I had to uninstall.

As I did not an technical investigation as to why those plugins from other companies did not work on my machine I do not want that those companies get a bad name.

Info if others run into similar problems:

I did start KK stand olone and then the splash screen appeared.

Then Scanning VST with the name of the VST plugin appeared. In case that name did stay there for more than one minute I noted the name and did a reboot. Then I found ot the company that made that plugin and then found out how to uninstall. Then I did an uninstall and re startet KK. In case the next plugin scan hang had the same company that programmed it I uninstalled every plugin from that company.

Later when finished I started standalone Machine 2 after update. There I had also one scan hang. As that plugin had a newer one installed I uninstalled that old version.

Now it is fine.

• chk071

"No, it was not NI plugins I had to uninstall."

I didn't say that at all...

• schorsch

Sorry, my mistake.

Thank you for clarification.

• schorsch
    edited November 2022

I finally found a solution for my problem:

1) Start KK standalone

2) Splash Screen appears. Scanning VSTs in progress

3) each time the scanning hangs on a VST go to Task Manager and kill the sub process of KK "sanning app". Until the program starts.

4) Open preferences / locations and delete c:\program files (x86) Common Files\Vst3

Then on next start of KK all works fine.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,575 Expert

That seems to suggest a dodgy plug-in. You should see what plug-in is causing the stall when it stops so maybe look at either updates or just remove that plug-in?