How do I find out how many activations I have left for Kontakt?

MevSydney
MevSydney Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi there,

I need to put a new CPU in my Windows PC, hence will need to reinstall everything.

I have seen reference to only being allowed to reinstall - or rather activate - Kontakt and it's content Products a certain number of times per year, but I have already reinstalled it on this machine with a new processor once this year.

How do I find out if I am safe to do it?

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

you can activate it as often as you need, but only 3 times at once (it differs a bit per product but i now don't have all details in my head) and use it only one at a time.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

you can activate it as often as you need, but only 3 times at once (it differs a bit per product but i now don't have all details in my head) and use it only one at a time.

• F1308
    F1308 Member Posts: 81 Helper
    edited November 2022

Don't quite understand why you are to reinstall...

Anyway, I think you are the one to keep the count bearing in mind that... " If your computer crashed or you replaced the hard drive and it is not possible to uninstall the NI product, proceed with the activation on the new computer. You will still maintain the number of activations granted by the End User License Agreement. "

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209544789--Installing-Native-Instruments-Products-on-a-New-Computer-

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Generally, I think NI does not keep track, how many active installs one has. Everything is based on the trust to the user....

NI knows, how many activations one has made, but does not have any means to know how many uninstalls one made. But using Native Access by user tells NI, that there is NI SW installed. So, if one is running NA on more than three computers (having single licence) NI will know EULA has been most probably violated.

I find NI system more user friendly than e.g. iLok, more flexible and no fear one looses licence because of theft, computer crash and so. Also licence transfer is not limited/restricted and is easy and for free.

The only drawback of NI system is, that one day it may happen, no more possibility to authorise given plugin. It has happened to bunch of EOL NI plugins two years ago.