Your collection is Invalid! Suddenly after a pc crash

Errefae
Errefae Member Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

I saved my collection. Then put the laptop to sleep. While it’s in the process to sleep pc crashed.

after it restarted, now my 10 years of work is gone!

Traktor 3.5.1

Windows 10 20H2

Best Answer

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Ouch. If you look in the Traktor folder in your Documents where your collection.nml file is, you should see a backup folder, wherein you can find old Collection and Settings files. I believe Traktor takes a backup once it's successfully updated a collection file so you may have lost today's changes but you should be able to find yesterday's. It'll be named something like "collection_2022y02m01d_17h20m38s.nml" (I copied the one from my last session yesterday). Note date and time which should help you locate the latest one.

Rename the "broken" collection.nml to collection.old or something like that. Copy the long-named latest collection file down to the Documents\Traktor folder and rename it to collection.nml. You may have to do same with Settings.tsi, same backup folder. If you reopen Traktor, it should see the collection as of your last successful play.

Good luck!

Answers

• Errefae

This is a screenshot of the collection _backup_invalid file opened bu sublime

• TeLLy
    Answer ✓

Ouch. If you look in the Traktor folder in your Documents where your collection.nml file is, you should see a backup folder, wherein you can find old Collection and Settings files. I believe Traktor takes a backup once it's successfully updated a collection file so you may have lost today's changes but you should be able to find yesterday's. It'll be named something like "collection_2022y02m01d_17h20m38s.nml" (I copied the one from my last session yesterday). Note date and time which should help you locate the latest one.

Rename the "broken" collection.nml to collection.old or something like that. Copy the long-named latest collection file down to the Documents\Traktor folder and rename it to collection.nml. You may have to do same with Settings.tsi, same backup folder. If you reopen Traktor, it should see the collection as of your last successful play.

Good luck!

• Errefae

Man you saved me from a lot of work. Thank you.

• TeLLy

Glad to hear! Funny enough I'm doing the same thing with both my Macbooks. Got too complacent with the new macOS beta and it destroyed my cloud file integration/sync/backups so now I'm restoring my whole collection, settings, tracks, and transients.

Keep good backups, people! Traktor's setup is OK if you have a little accident like @Errefae but if something wipes out your whole Documents\Traktor folder you're F*^#&$d!