Pure Data/Cardinal/ "Programmable Synth" experience

Moonbot7000
Moonbot7000 Member Posts: 61 Member

Hey Everyone, There's some real cool innovative products out there there are combining programming and hardware (Daisy programmable synth, organelle, etc...), or using open source (cardinal), and actually updating and actively developing their product, and I wanted to see, from a reaktor user perspective, what, if any, the experience has been with any of these products. I think Reaktor will always have a place in my heart and workflow, but there's some real interesting alternatives that are coming to the market that's got me interested in taking a plunge elsewhere. Anyone have any experience with these ones or others and would be willing to share some of the highlights?

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru

I'd be interested in hearing about folks experiences too. I've not tried any of these. Always seemed like something I wanted wasn't there... like not enough CV inputs, or not enough controls on the panel, or no screen for feedback etc.

There was one that looked good, but the teensy board is right on the front of the unit, unprotected. totally ridiculous! (...the Daisy patch!). All it takes is one stray patch cable to short out some pins and the thing is toast.

Another one that looks promising is maybe the Befaco Lich based on the Rebel Tech OWL platform. No screen, but there is a single character LED display, and lots of connectivity. Also should be a good build quality - Befaco are pretty good generally.

But why not just get something like a radio music, or a clouds clone or whatever, and code up something for that based on the open source firmwares that are available for them?

I pretty much got into Eurorack to get away from coding so I could make music. Maybe I should just keep away :)

• bolabo
    bolabo Member Posts: 97 Advisor
    edited November 2022

The Rebel Tech OWL guitar pedal has been tempting me, I've been looking for a nice programable pedal like that, if only it could load Reaktor core macros! Looks like there are some templates for Max / Gen though. I don't know what other alternatives there are tbh.

I pretty much got into Eurorack to get away from coding so I could make music. Maybe I should just keep away :)

Hehe good point!

...ooh I just spotted this -->

• Trevor Meier
    Trevor Meier Member Posts: 69 Advisor

VCV Rack / Cardinal are a lot of fun. Check out the YouTube tutorials by Omri Cohen to get up to speed. I find it much more usable than Reaktor in the block era. I wish Reaktor were still being actively developed (as a product - I know they're working on compatibility but no changes in the product in eons). I think it's such a great foundation, but it seems like the race is lost at this point. VCV has a much better implementation of polyphony, for example.

Also check out Bitwig. I'm making most of my music there these days, and there are some excellent controller scripts for Maschine / Maschine Jam / Komplete Kontrol hardware that make it (IMO) much better than NI's own software for working quickly.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru

VCV Rack / Cardinal are a lot of fun. Check out the YouTube tutorials by Omri Cohen to get up to speed. I find it much more usable than Reaktor in the block era. I wish Reaktor were still being actively developed (as a product - I know they're working on compatibility but no changes in the product in eons). I think it's such a great foundation, but it seems like the race is lost at this point. VCV has a much better implementation of polyphony, for example.

VCV Rack is only better when you try to do VCV Rack type stuff. Reaktor's main thing is opening up building to non programmers - like synth lego. VCVRack is a non starter there. Also have to note that Reaktor isn't just Blocks. Reaktor has loads of great polyphonic instruments, and it's pretty easy to build them as long as you don't want them to be fully Blocks compatible.

So not sure how 'the race is lost', when they are running in different directions to a different destination ;)

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

VCV has a much better implementation of polyphony, for example.

Here I set 32 voice in the instrument and use unison setting for lowering. Inspirated by Pro-53

No it isn't a Block.

• Seqsual
    Seqsual Member Posts: 41 Helper

Another interesting environment combining programming and hardware is IMO Swift/Xcode/iOS devices. Especially if you already have a Mac and iPad. There is certainly a lot of clutter and learning curve at first but that is I suppose with most complex systems (Reaktor included).

Regarding the VCV vs Reaktor: I actually really enjoy combining them together using VCV Host – it allows you to load Reaktor ensemble directly into VCV patch exposing 8 audio/CV inputs outputs and you can load several modules/ensembles interconnected together.

Here is one example of Reaktor + Softube Modular loaded in VCV patch using Hosts:

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Hi Seqsual, no I'm on pc.

TRK-01 is the engine and all others are mod by it or effect it?

• Seqsual
    Seqsual Member Posts: 41 Helper

Hi Paule,

I made several modifications to TRK-01 but this was just an example to show how different systems (like Softube, Reaktor and VCV) are work together in single patch.

Good weekend to everybody!