KK 2.8 and 3rd Party Plugins

ozan
ozan Member Posts: 14 Member

So I downloaded and run KK 2.8 update in Native Apple SiliconMode

Scanned all my plugins, all passed

When I try to load U-he or any Arturia plugins, I get error about migration.

Now everything is VST3 and Native Aplle Silicon in my system.

What else should I do to meke this work?

Thank You

Best Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,612 Expert
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

All you can do, if you need to load previous NKS presets made in the VST2 version, is load it in Rosetta mode and keep the VST2 versions of plugins that don't migrate on your system for now. Rosetta works fine and this is not really something NI can fix as the developers have to enable migration in their plugins, which I guess takes time.

Alternatively it will load the VST3 plugin versions in native mode - it's just the NKS presets that don't migrate. So for many plugins I'm just focussing on using KK for control right now and not as a preset librarian.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,284 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey all, our KB team made this article, you might find some useful information regarding this topic: Some VST Plug-ins Are Not Loading in KOMPLETE KONTROL 2.8 / MASCHINE 2.16 on Apple M1 Systems

Answers

• Kymeia
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

All you can do, if you need to load previous NKS presets made in the VST2 version, is load it in Rosetta mode and keep the VST2 versions of plugins that don't migrate on your system for now. Rosetta works fine and this is not really something NI can fix as the developers have to enable migration in their plugins, which I guess takes time.

Alternatively it will load the VST3 plugin versions in native mode - it's just the NKS presets that don't migrate. So for many plugins I'm just focussing on using KK for control right now and not as a preset librarian.

• Oscar Morante
    Oscar Morante Member Posts: 23 Member

I would make sure all the u-he plugins are updated to the latest version and if that doesn't help get in touch with u-he in kvraudio, they are super responsive.

• Jeremy_NI

@ozan Well, as the error message suggests, you have to contact Arturia and U-he.

• Russellmus
    Russellmus Member Posts: 53 Helper

It's not just 3rd party plugins. I have the same problem with any Reaktor 6 instrument, and the standalone Super 8. Even after reinstalling them and ensuring full disk access is granted.

Sure is quick at loading Kontakt instruments now though :o Have barely seen the beachball, prior to the update it took several seconds much of the time.

• Kymeia
    edited October 2022

That isn't a problem for me but it sounds like you have Rosetta mode off? Reaktor won't be native till early next year afaik, guess same is true of Super 8

• Jeremy_NI

@Russellmus Reaktor 6 is not yet VST3 or M1 natively supported. Super 8 has not been updated for native Sillicon support either.

• Russellmus

You are correct, all works with KK in Rosetta mode. Takes it back to the previous version's load times though unfortunately!

But yeah all good.

• Russellmus

Yes, as Kymeia suggested, it works in Rosetta mode. Forgot about that, haven't had to run anything in Rosetta for a while!

• ozan
    ozan Member Posts: 14 Member

@Kymeia

Thank you, yes that was it. Plugins load fine.

@Jeremy_NI I also emailed them and what I understand is they will need to have updated NKS files.

Thank You!

• lephilb
    lephilb Member Posts: 6 Member

We remain in the middle of the river... now we have a VST3 M1 compatible with a lot of NI plugin not working ( like Massive X ).... or with Arturia needing to rebuild their NKS.... pfff I was too quickly exited with the announcement... Going back ( again) in Rosetta mode ... When will all the stuff work G.DMN

• Kymeia

It’s a process for sure, but an important milestone has been reached all the same.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey all, our KB team made this article, you might find some useful information regarding this topic: Some VST Plug-ins Are Not Loading in KOMPLETE KONTROL 2.8 / MASCHINE 2.16 on Apple M1 Systems

• vdd
    vdd Member Posts: 1 Member

The Rosetta Thing is not really a solution: Then there is no point in being native on Apple Silicon.

I get the point that 3rd parties have to deliver as well - but it is your Software which reads NKS files which are not compatible. How do you think I can browse through my sounds, if half of them are broken?

The real issue is, that I can't prevent KK to scan my existing plug-ins (e.g. Arturia) and as a result, I've 10K+ entries in the database, where I get an error message...

So KK NEEDS to have a feature where I can disable specific plugins and get them out of the database. Right now, Komplete Kontrol is completely useless on an Apple M1 OR you have to sacrifice at least 30% of your performance...

Long story short: in the real world, where musicians have instruments from other vendors as well, the current implementation of Komplete Kontrol is not even funny. Fix it - we paid for it...

• Kymeia
    edited December 2022

The Rosetta 'thing' is a reflection of a real world where things don't happen all at once, NI have completed their end of the process but not all developers are on the same page. That's how it is, NI are working with developers to make the transition at their end, a lot of developers unfortunately have been slow to implement migration (which is needed for compatibility between VST2 and 3 in all host projects regardless of NKS and what NI do or don't do) - for example u-he have now updated their plugins to support migration with the latest version of KK and Maschine. So progress is being made. In the meantime a lot of us are working on VST3 native NKS patches and doing something positive instead of just complaining about how the world isn't a place where people can just snap their fingers and 'fix things' that they don't have control over.

Most of us who bought M1 computers accept that we have to make a choice of going completely native and for a while dealing with the fact that some of the things we like may not work for a while longer, or compromising and using Rosetta to make the transition less painless. All NI have done is give you that choice for Komplete Kontrol too. How terrible!

Also Komplete Kontrol is not 'completely useless on an Apple M1' - why do people feel the need to catastrophize about these things? I have it working very nicely on my M1Max Mac Studio - if anything it is better because I can now run plugins like Plasmonic and Equator 2 that are VST3 only and I know well that even the ones that NKS patches are not working for, do still work as plugins and if I want to I can save my favourite patches myself to NKS with those versions. It really is not as bad as you are making out.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor
    edited December 2022

: Fix it - we paid for it..."

I'm sure NI are very keen for it all to work perfectly - if for no other reason than putting an end to complaints like this. Kymeia has put it better than I ever could. I'm sure all developers wish to get full compatibility but it takes time and its not always clear who needs to do what. My main non-NI developer is Spitfire Audio. Most of their stuff works fine with M1, KK etc but there are one or two instruments that need workarounds or don't play at all. I know they are talking to NI about this and vice versa. I'm content within reason to let them get on with it and help if I can. I knew moving to Apple Silicon would offer some initial challenges but overall - having moved to a Mac Studio M1 max with 64gb I'm as happy as a pig in muck!!!