Maschine + randomly arrives late to scene change, when Slave to other Gear

JCastillo
JCastillo Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hello! Would greatly appreciate help with this issue.

My Maschine + is setup as a midi slave to an Elektron Digitakt. The only information being received by Maschine is Midi Clock, and Scene Changes (which correspond to Bank and Pattern Changes in the Digitakt).

Each scene has a couple of samples being internally triggered/sequenced inside the Maschine. I have removed all FX, all Synths. Just samples with each sample instance limited to 1 polyphony.

Most of the time this works flawlessly but every once in a while, for apparently no specific reason, after a pattern change, the Maschine goes silent, and then starts the intended scene out of sync with the Digitakt. The only way to get them on sync again is to start and stop. This is terrifying for Live Shows.

Has anybody had to deal with this issues? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello,

have you tried it the other way around, so maschine sends midi clock to the digitakt?

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    edited October 2022

what you are experiencing is no doubt the issue of latency(audio driver latency+midi driver latency), and as the maschine is slaved this will always bring the issue of latency.

the execution of delay of the midi note on message maschine would miss the trigger if triggered after the start of the beat(triggering patterns early may solve it, but the issue would still exist)

if you were on Windows 10 you could use voicemeter to adjust the delay compensation on a per channel basis(audio only).

the delay compensation offset would effectively delay the master to match the slaves latency, a thorough test would need to be carried out to see any potential issues and whether it is a viable solution for you particular setup. luckily theres a demo version of voicemeter potato.. which effectively gives you 5input channels which you can adjust the delay compensation...(note this is audio only compensation)

however the problem with the audio being silent for a few seconds is probably due to the midi note on message being missed

• Uwe303

You don't need voicemeter to delay the audio in maschine, you could use a simple plugin to do that, MUtillity, for example, from Meldaproduction, it has a sample accurate delay.I don't think that's the problem but maybe worth a try.

• 6xes

both are free methods to utilise for testing purposes... i will also mention there are many extra benefits on voicemeters side that could be useful for testing purposes!

• 6xes

if in the event... the OP is using maschine+ in standalone(which is likely) this would render Voicemeter unusable as it requires windowsOS.

• Uwe303

Yep I believe that too, so maybe trying another master clock (maschine+) is the only option here.