MacOS 13 Ventura Compatibility

cjacoby78
cjacoby78 Member Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2022 in Tech Talks

As of tomorrow, Mac users will be able to upgrade to MacOS 13 Ventura... So far I haven't found any info here about Native Instruments' plugins' compatibility... Any info?

Cheers,

CJ

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro

Given recent history of MacOS releases, I’d hold off until I see the dust settle. Might be nice if NI had prepared a status of testing and shared it

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    Answer ✓

It's not listed here, so do not upgrade for now:

Many other companies also don't support it yet.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 389 Pro

Best to give it some time, especially if your present computer/OS is stable. I usually wait 3-6 months before installing new Mac OS version.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

We're still currently performing tests on our products to bring them to Ventura as soon as possible. I'd also advise against upgrading too soon to keep your products compatible for the time being.

Check out our macOS 13 Ventura Compatibility Statement for more information.

• Russellmus
    Russellmus Member Posts: 53 Helper

On the record, wait till NI says it's safe!

Off the record... I took the plunge, everything seems to be working exactly as it was in Monterey, possibly a little snappier but I could be imagining that. The only music software to give me any issues was Gulfoss failing validation, but that had an update a few days ago which fixed that.

But don't do it. I'm an impatient idiot. Ignore me. :D

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,612 Expert

I'm still in the process off setting up a new Mac Studio anyway so might as well give it a try - looks like it may indeed be snappier on Apple Silicon at least due to improvements in graphics handling (Metal 3) so on my 32 GPU core system that could make a lot of difference

• ZweiQuadrat
    ZweiQuadrat Member Posts: 0 Member

Did that mistake once and updated without thinking about when a fresh macOS came out and it really was a pain in the ass with Traktor then. 🤬 So, better be patient ´till NI says it worx solid is the best advice imo. 😉

• Wilmar Boer
    Wilmar Boer Member Posts: 62 Helper
    edited October 2022

There is a good read on this subject here and a list of audio software compatibility which (I think) will Sweetwater keep up to date.

• Craigster
    Craigster Member Posts: 4 Member

It has caused a problem for me with Traktor, unfortunately, so be cautious (M1 Mac mini)

A blank installation seems to work fine (in conjunction with my Z2). Settings can also be imported without problem.

However, as soon as I import my existing collection, memory usage jumps up to 100GB (!) and Traktor freezes. No way out other than to Force Quit.

Not a headache for me because this isn't a performance machine, but certainly shows that there can be issues.

• Gabriel Del
    Gabriel Del Member Posts: 1 Member

Every time,when Apple relaese a new operating system, all companies are delayed by a months from 3 till 6, I can't understand how they couldn't doin their tests in advance, given that there is a beta version of the new operating system 6 months before that.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Living on the edge here... I just updated and everything seems fine on an Intel Mac, some updates aren't as problematic, depends on what changes. If I find anything broken I'll report it here I guess.

On my M1 I can't risk it since I use it live

• solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 93 Helper

I have an m1 max and everything has been working just fine im so tempted to move it up. I only use maschine and logic, all my plugins are updated to M1 already, only Traktor I have heard possible problems with. I have the maschine jam, studio, and s49, no issues with your hardware?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited October 2022

As of now no, no issues. The only problem I had was caused by me and I'll share here so others will know:

MacOS Ventura has more security options now, specifically a new "Allow in background" list under Prefs > Login Items, since devs often poorly name these services I disabled a few and broke some plugins... I disabled an "Avid Pro-Tools" service since I don't own PT and it broke all my plugins that depend on iLok... turning it back ON and rebooting fixed it.

I assumed it was there due to an old PT demo install or something, but... I assumed wrong.

I've been keeping an eye on other forums from SW I use and most folks are saying it's all good, in the mixt of 1000 posts from people saying they don't update since 1993 😂

Do it only if you know how to get back to the previous OS in case you run into issues tho, updates are always a great opportunity to do that backup we have all been postponing; your changes of issues might be a tad higher since your HW seems older.

• potions
    potions Member Posts: 1 Member

I have an M1 Pro. I (stupidly) upgraded to Ventura. I use Ableton and a bunch of NI VSTs and effects plugins. All was working great UNTIL, I installed one more plugin (transient master). I then got the red Ableton "A serious error has occurred" message. Now it just crashes unless I start Ableton without scanning the plugins.

Another dumb move on my part- I didn't Time Machine backup before I upgraded- so the only Time Machine backup I have is with Ventura.

I even tried to revert the OS back to Monterey with a bootable drive only to get the message "this volume can not be downgraded." Really stuck here.

All was well 2 days ago. I've learned my lesson. Hoping they can fix compatibility issues asap.

• solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 93 Helper

I like what I'm hearing.

still installing my apple silicon maschine software etc and will see how it behaves.

sounds like little issues will be met with it.

This discussion has been closed.