Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 cannot load Kontakt Instruments with Kontakt 7 installed.

iNate
iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor

Right now, I have an issue where Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 cannot load ANY Kontakt LIbraries with Kontakt Install, as it results in an Unable to Load Plug-in error.

If I remove Kontakt 7 and install Kontakt 6, everything loads fine. If Kontakt 6 is installed and Kontakt 7 is also installed, everything breaks again. The only way to use any Kontakt content in Maschine 2 or Komplete Kontrol is to only install Kontakt 6.

This is 100% replicable across two machines here, so I severely doubt it has anything to do with my computers, particularly considering how clean they are from a maintenance standpoint.

I've already tried [literally] everything on: KOMPLETE KONTROL Error Message: "Loading Issue. Could not load Plug-in." (Windows) – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com) and then some.

There is an open support incident, although I severely doubt they will be able to help me because I've tried literally everything, and they probably aren't even in a position where they can easily reproduce this issue. I'm also tired of crouching over my email, so I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I've wasted the money on the upgrade and am kind of fine just sticking with Kontakt 6 for now.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, who may have been able to remedy it by using a solution that isn't already on the Native Instruments Knowledge Base... or YouTube.

Not a fan of a "no-refund policy" for literally unusable software, either.

P.S. I've also tried unchecking "Use Latest Version of NI Plug-ins" as well as Kontakt 7 in the Plug-in dialog (and rebooting Komplete Kontrol." It doesn't change anything. Unless I uninstall Kontakt 7, my Kontakt Libraries mind as well not exist as far as Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 are concerned.

Best Answer

• iNate
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Yes. Only doesn't work in Komplete Kontrol or Maschine 2. I see there are updates to KK/M2, so I will try with that.

EDIT: Nope. Still broken after the updates to KK/M2. Going to go back to K6 permanently and pretend I don't own K7. I don't have the time to spend troubleshooting the issues. I'd rather be productive, instead.

Lol. Not sure if this has been reported, but updates are broken in Native Access 2. Any time you update, only the VST2 plug-in is updated. You have to do a Reinstall after the update to force it to update the VST3 plug-ins. I'm pretty sure it has been this way since Native Access 2 launched, because I have had to do this ever since moving over to it.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod
    edited October 2022

Hello,

do you have the latest maschine version installed, cause kontakt 7 is only vst3 and older versions of maschine don't support it, same for kk

• iNate

Yep. Everything is up to date.

• Uwe303

If you try to add an instrument directly in the slot, on the pad, you don't see it?

• iNate

Nope. If an instrument (or, library) requires Kontakt, it won't work with Kontakt 7 installed. It will throw an error saying it cannot load the plug-in.

It works once I uninstall Kontakt 7, though, assuming Kontakt 6 is on the system.

• Uwe303

I mean if you open kk you can insert instrument plugins directly by clicking the plus sign in a square, upper area of the plugin. Or if you go to prefs and there is a list with all plugins kontakt 7 is there missing?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Are you able to open Kontakt 7 in standalone? Is everything functional there ?

• iNate
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Yes. Only doesn't work in Komplete Kontrol or Maschine 2. I see there are updates to KK/M2, so I will try with that.

EDIT: Nope. Still broken after the updates to KK/M2. Going to go back to K6 permanently and pretend I don't own K7. I don't have the time to spend troubleshooting the issues. I'd rather be productive, instead.

Lol. Not sure if this has been reported, but updates are broken in Native Access 2. Any time you update, only the VST2 plug-in is updated. You have to do a Reinstall after the update to force it to update the VST3 plug-ins. I'm pretty sure it has been this way since Native Access 2 launched, because I have had to do this ever since moving over to it.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited November 2022

Lol. Not sure if this has been reported, but updates are broken in Native Access 2. Any time you update, only the VST2 plug-in is updated. You have to do a Reinstall after the update to force it to update the VST3 plug-ins. I'm pretty sure it has been this way since Native Access 2 launched, because I have had to do this ever since moving over to it.

@iNate That wasn't reported yet, it seems to happen only to you. It might be worth investigating with my colleagues why this happens, it could be permission issues, that could also be the source of the Kontakt 7 not loading in Komplete Kontrol and Maschine.

• Vinark
    Vinark Member Posts: 15 Member

What fixed it for me, Uninstal all 3, maschine, kontakt 6 and 7. First install latest maschine 2.16, then kontakt 6. Make sure opening kontakt patches work. Then install K7. It still worked here. Did not before so hope it helps you too.

• iNate

Support replied and said it is not compatible and I have to wait for them to fix it.

• iNate
    edited November 2022

Kontakt 7 isn't an update, it's a new install. So, the VST3 is always added when I install it.

I'm talking about other updates, like Komplete Kontrol, Replika XT, Maschine 2, Bite, etc. Any time you do an update with Native Access 2, you have to update and then immediately Reinstall because the update only updates the VST2 plug-in. Seems odd that it would be a permission issue, if the reinstall can place the VST3 file there, but the update... can't... from the same running instance of Native Access 2 (Besides, this also happens if you run Native Access 2 as Administrator).

If you do a full install, the VST3 is copied to the Global VST3 Directory. If you update, it will not update it, it will only update the VST2 plug-in. It's been happening since moving to Native Access 2. I mean, I wonder how many people actually check the version numbers of their VST3 plug-ins to see if it's actually the latest version :-P

Also replicable across multiple machines, so it's not a machine specific issue. I don't report issues that happen on ONLY one machine as it just becomes one of those circular "Your Machine is the issue" dialogs. If I report an issue, it's almost certainly been reproduced on 2 machines at a minimum, and often 3-4.

In any case, as I've written in the previous post:

Hello Nate, thank you for contacting Native Instruments.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing some difficulties. 

Currently Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 are not yet able to load third party VST3 instruments and Kontakt 7 is VST3 only.

This feature is currently being worked on and planned for future updates to Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2.

I hope this is able to answer your concern.

So, I guess I just have to wait for that work to be done. Does seem a bit sketch considering Kontakt 7 is not third party and Super 8 has been VST3-only since release and works... but I'll run with that /wink

• Jeremy_NI

@iNate My colleague was not aware that Kontakt 7 should load in Maschine or Komplete Kontrol, since our own VST3 are supported there. Sorry for the confusion here. I suspect there is some kind of issue on your system, that could maybe explain your VST3 issues. we couldn't reproduce the issue, by the way. Anyway, I've escalated your ticket, you should get get more info soon.

• Vinark
    Vinark Member Posts: 15 Member

I had the same issue and this fixed it, but only after updating to Maschine 2.16 first at least in my experience.

• iNate
    edited November 2022

I responded to the support inquiry but thought I would share my thoughts here because others are viewing/responding.

Okay, so, the Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 issues actually had an identical symptom, but aren't the same issue.

Komplete Kontrol:

Kontakt 7 works... as long as I don't install Kontakt Factory Library 2. If I install KFL2, it breaks Kontakt in Komplete Kontrol. I can't even began to explain how this is possible, but it does the same thing across two machines.

Maschine 2:

Maschine 2 will only use Kontakt 6 on my machine. If I uninstall Kontakt 6 (and I tested this by moving the Kontakt 6 VST/VST3 out of the scanned folders), Maschine 2 will not load any Libraries because it does not use Kontakt 7.

I noticed this when opening the full plug-in in both applications. Komplete Kontrol showed Kontakt 7, while Maschine 2 showed Kontakt 6.

So, for some reason, different problems in each triggered an identical error in both.

I think the reason this happened was because:

1. When I initially installed Kontakt 7 - knowing it was VST3-only - I simply assumed I would use Komplete Kontrol to work around this until Reason Studios introduced VST3 support in Reason 12.
    2. At the same time: I Uninstalled Kontakt 6/Factory Library 1 and Installed Factory Library 2

So, it basically broke both Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 concurrently, but in different ways that presented very similar error messages. When I checked both and saw the error messages - I just assumed the issues were identical.

It is difficult to troubleshoot the KFL2 issue, because a 37GB download that doesn't leave an installer on my system makes this VERY time consuming.

P.S. Everything is up to date.

-----

VST3 update issue: The installer will not install the VST3 update if the VST3 is not in the root VST3 folder - C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 on Windows. It has to "see" the file to update it, and it only checks in that location.

If the file is there, it will delete and replace it with an updated VST3. If you organize your VST3 plug-ins into vendor subfolders like me, the file will not be there and the updater will skip it. Reinstalling is the only way to "update," in that scenario.

You can work around this by moving any VST3s with updates available in Native Access from the subfolder back to the Root VST3 directory. That will result in them being updated, and then you can simply move them back afterwards. You have to move them and replace the older versions when doing a Reinstall anyways, so it's just one extra step - and you don't have to let everything pile up in the root VST3 directory :-P

It would be nice if Native Access defaulted to installing to a "Native Instruments" subdirectory like many other vendors do!

(It is weird that this issue only popped up with Native Access 2, though. It was not an issue with Native Access 1. The updated VST3s were always installed and I could just move and replace them (similar to if I had done a Reinstall).)

• Mavros
    Mavros Member Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2022

@iNate maybe I missed it in the many posts above but I assume that you are using a PC with Windows as the discussion is focussed on VST2 and VST3. However with an MBP with an M1Max I also experienced loading issues on my Maschine MK3 and also my KK S61 MK2 with Kontakt Factory Library 2 instruments using Kontakt 7 in Logic. No error messages but loading/busy just remains forever on the Maschine and KK. With Kontakt 6 all works fine but you cannot load the new VST3 instruments.

If the Maschine or KK are not connected, so just the plugins with a Kontakt Factory Library 2 instrument using the virtual keyboard all seems to work well (except the S and D on the virtual keyboard with Maschine which are shortcuts). So I suppose the issues are linked to the KK and Maschine software. I hope the updates of a few days ago will solve it. I will test tomorrow.