Maschine plus: midi input, without recording, when not focused?

jolly Dodger
jolly Dodger Member Posts: 54 Member
edited October 2022 in Maschine

How can I use the m+ as a sound generator for external midi device with one group, while only recording on a different group when focused on it?

i.e. Only record/play events on a focused group, while receiving/playing external midi on a different group without recording events on it.

I assumed that if the global midi settings, set focus default to ‘none’, then if a group’s midi input is set to ‘default’… it would not record events when not focused, but still play midi input.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@jolly Dodger Oh ok, I understand now, sorry, yes, in that case, using the same MIDI channel for 2 different groups that would not work. Coming from the hardware live thing, to me one instrument = one MIDI channel.

I'll forward your comments as a feature request to then Maschine team.

Answers

• jolly Dodger

Maybe if there was a new feature.. would this work?

the midi settings for the ‘default’ drop down has ‘no rec’ added to the current choice of ‘none’, & ‘focus’

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @jolly Dodger I'm not sure to follow, if you set your external MIDI sequencer or device to a dedicated MIDI channel and set the M+ instrument / group to the same MIDI channel you should be able to have your M+ instrument played regardless of what you do on other groups.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

@Jeremy_NI : Imagine you have an external sequencer (maybe a microfreak) sending a sequence to a piano hosted in maschine. You then go over to a group of drums and want to record some dope beats (yo).

Maschine will switch over to that piano group when you start recording.

A DAW would handle this by having you arm a track before recording. IMO, following that paradigm would make the most sense. Each sound has a toggle for "audio mute". Add another for "armed". Default to enabled so the current behavior is default. We could then turn it off if it makes the most sense.

• The P.O.T.Y
    The P.O.T.Y Member Posts: 41 Member

I understand. Aside from not just telling everyone MK HW and Maschine SW are codependent and when using SW it is leader. This is a issue to me also.

I realized simply Focus depends on unit/device. When using MK,KK,Kontakt, or gen MIDI controller. Together in any combo, Focus is SW based on device/loaded module and "default view". Think that MK is 16 drum pad when KK or gen MIDI used same sound spread, etc. But in Drum Kit (MIDI IN) or not, MK is still a drum pad. MK in Keyboard can keyboard KK or gen MIDI can keyboard but w/ Kontakt you can "Focus" Drum Kit or stay keyboard. Which in turn SW and HW will auto change KK to Drum Kit. Only saying this because I spent time trying to figure out why "Focus" didnt even pertain to "viewing"

Now thinking is MK+ is a HW w/ Maschine SW and even w/o computer SW is leader. We Maschine heads cant think of MK3 is a MP@ with computer just as MK+ cant think its a MP@ w/o computer. We are Maschine 2.x and need 3.0. MK4L💪

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert
    edited October 2022

Did you try working with the individual MIDI settings on the Group and Sound level?

Not entirely sure, but I remember vaguely that I had to change the MIDI in setting of a Sound to be on a dedicated channel and focus switched off or to that channel.

• jolly Dodger
    edited November 2022

ignore/delete

• jolly Dodger
    edited November 2022

To clarify - as I see what the issue is more clearly now. I have two groups on the same midi channel. i.e. two kits that I animate a blend inbetween. The two kits are driven by the same midi channel.

As darkwaves stated, other platforms use a armed/not-armed setting to get round this issue.

So there would be several ways to solve this as a developer including:

• in global midi settings we add non-focus (or call it non-record) to the default dropdown. So if a sound group's input is set to default, the default midi input is used, but it does not focus or record events to it.
    • in channel-midi>input>group|sound menu we have an extra dropdown of 'arm: yes/no'.
    • Or alternatively a way of internally routing events to pads/a group outside of a single group set

or am I missing something here?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@jolly Dodger Oh ok, I understand now, sorry, yes, in that case, using the same MIDI channel for 2 different groups that would not work. Coming from the hardware live thing, to me one instrument = one MIDI channel.

I'll forward your comments as a feature request to then Maschine team.