Massive X 1.4.1. is not working on my Apple M1 Max

Rico
Rico Member Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2022 in Massive X & Synths

Hi everyone!

I got my brand new Apple Mac Studio set up with an Apple M1 Max chip and purchased the NI Massive X #5 Drop offer yesterday.

After installing and registering Massive X I started Logic but it seems that Logic fails or isn’t able to open Massive X (as it says in the plug-manager where it shows the NI folder with Massive X, but there’s a sign that Logic isn’t able to open MX).

I already figured out, that apparently I need to install Rosetta 2 in order to use Massive X, so I installed R2 too.

But even though, I can’t manage to get Massive X started. Rebooting my Mac didn’t help…

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Answer ✓

Massive X is not yet compatible with M1 Max, even with Rosetta it might not work properly.

Please contact our support for further assistance on this topic: https://bit.ly/n1synt

Answers

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Answer ✓

Massive X is not yet compatible with M1 Max, even with Rosetta it might not work properly.

Please contact our support for further assistance on this topic: https://bit.ly/n1synt

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,318 mod

@Rico Installing Rosetta isn't enough, you would need to run Logic in Rosetta mode: How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

• Rico

@Jeremy_NI

thanks for your reply, but I already found that hint in the faq/support area. Unfortunately starting DAW in Rosetta-mode didn’t work either. Don’t know what else I should try…

isn’t the Apple silicon native compatibility coming soon?

• Jeremy_NI
    edited August 2022

Also make sure to give Logic Full Disk Access: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

What can also help sometimes is to close Logic and reset MassiveX's database, as explained in this article: Some Presets are Missing in MASSIVE X

Then delete this file:

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > Components > Massive X.component

Open Logic again, can you open Massive X now?

Native sillicon support should come soon(ish), but, if used in Rosetta mode, there were no reports of similar issues on M1, but M1 Max and Pro are not yet officially supported. There might be incompatibilities there.

• Rico
    edited August 2022

@Jeremy_NI

Thanks again for your support! I really appreciate it. I went all along the steps you suggested but I still don’t get MX running. Guess I’ll have to wait till the M1 Max will be fully supported!

Cheers anyway!

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited October 2022

How long till Massive X is Apple Silicon native?

• Jeremy_NI

@Kymeia Hopefully in the coming weeks.

• Kymeia
    edited October 2022

Ok well I have a Max now too and Massive X is working for me in several other hosts including Bitwig and Komplete Kontrol (if not yet Logic) so that’s fine enough for now

Bitwig is extra useful because it has an Intel bridge which means it doesn’t have to be run in Rosetta mode to run intel plugins (I guess that may even be the case when Rosetta 2 is no longer included in Macs?)

• Kymeia
    edited October 2022

Interesting - I tried Logic now too and the AU is working for me - but I am absolutely certain I am not running Logic in Rosetta mode.

• Jeremy_NI

@Kymeia Apple also has an AU Intel bridge so some plug-ins can open, even not in Rosetta mode but we can't guarantee functionality. Interesting info about Bitwig, thanks!

• Kymeia
    edited October 2022

Cool - so it seems it isn’t necessary to put Logic in Rosetta mode to load Massive X (or even Absynth) on a M1 Max Mac Studio

• Rico

@Kymeia @Jeremy_NI

Hey,

following your posts I took a new shot on my setup and surprise-surprise it’s working too here. Finally I can use my MX. I didn’t need the Rosetta-mode either to get it functioning. Can’t tell how I managed to get it working, cause MX hasn’t been updated to another version, but maybe installing the new MacOS Ventura made the difference (even though NI is informing that NI products aren’t supported under Ventura yet).

• Kymeia
    edited October 2022

That's great - I am thinking about Ventura and have it downloaded ready to press the button but will probably wait a bit longer to see how the M1 versions of Komplete Kontrol and Maschine fare on M1 once released (which must be close now)

I am looking forwards to be able to get the benefits of Metal 3 for my 32 GPU M1 Max though so it is tempting to try it now.