Will Maschine (Desktop) ever get fully working VST support?

Flexi
Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
edited October 2022 in Maschine

I know VST3 support is coming, but so many VST2 plugins don't work properly with Maschine for so many years, it is a bit worrying that non of that was ever fixed before VST3 was being worked on.

Will the implementation be just to shut users up, or will it actually finally be a fully working VST support?

For example the old joke that Serum isn't fully working in Maschine, because NI are pissed that it replaces Massive (It doesn't, Massive wont ever be replaced, even its replacement Massive X couldn't replace it, it was just a meme) is all getting a bit tired now, and there are a lot of VST plugins that don't work properly in Maschine.

Tagged:

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,612 Expert

What doesn’t work in Serum? (Apart from aftertouch and MPE obviously)

• Flexi

The wavetable editor, if you try and draw a wavetable, it doesn't stick.

• Flexi

Wavetable editor, try drawing a wavetable, it wont save what you draw.

• Kymeia

OK thanks - tbh I don't play it in Maschine anyway as it doesn't support midi expression like aftertouch or MPE - it seems to load and play fine though, I would just do the deep editing elsewhere I guess (probably this is something XFer should fix anyway)

• Flexi

Yeah not really, asking a plugin developer to fix something that is only broke in Maschine, you must be new here haha.

Maschine has such a tiny market that no developer cares if their plugin works, and when it is only broke in Maschine, guess who is getting the blame, and honestly, rightly so.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

So, if NI plugin crashes in certain DAW and not in others, it is not on NI to fix it?

And plugin developers do test also if ther plugins run OK in Maschine. At least some of them, e.g. Eventide. IMHO plugin developer should fix it, himself or in cooperation with DAW developer.... It might be possible that changes on the both sides are needed...

• Kymeia

Every host is different and in my experience developers certainly do try to make their plugins work in a wide range of hosts. This sounds much more like something that could be fixed by XFer who know how their plugin code functions, than NI, who don’t, and I’m sure care less about it not working than XFer too. Or at least they should both be looking at it. Developers do talk to each other you know from time to time ;)

• Kymeia

Actually maybe this is a Win bug as I just tried drawing and saving a wavetable in Serum in Maschine and it saved and recalled fine but I am on a M1 Max

• Kymeia

Apart from Serum what other VST2 plugins don't work properly with Maschine?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited October 2022

Making wavetables also works fine for me. Intel Mac.

• Flexi

A lot of the Air Windows stuff is iffy in Maschine, and he has no interest in fixing those for Maschine, can't blame him, he works for free.

I cant think of everything else in my plugins off hand, they just come up as and when when i use them.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

So, developer refuses fix his VST2 plugins and you blame NI, that they do not fully work? Strange logic....