Can Maschine MK3 and external MIDI controller combine to operate like a Komplete Kontrol MK2 Sx?

3DSounds
3DSounds Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi!

Saw the review on the Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 and I like the integration of the keyboard and the software.

Recently got myself a used Roland Fantom X8 at a very good price. It needed some clean up and replace a broken key. Its keybed action feels really nice. I really like it.

Just wondering, instead of getting a new MIDI controller like the S88 MK2, can I just get the Maschine MK3 and use my Fantom X8 as an external MIDI controller?

I would like to use the X8 as a basic MIDI controller sending the keys pressed data to Maschine MK3, and just use the MK3 to select different instrument sounds to play.

In other words, can the Maschine MK3 and the Fantom X8 combine to work like the S88 MK2 controller?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,038 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello

it's not exactly like an S88, but that will work, you can use just maschine or maschine VST inside a DAW. You can set it that midi goes to the selected pad, or send the keyboard to one pad and the pads on maschine to a different pad but you only can record on one group/pad. Or like i said, use it in a DAW. Hopefully someone else can add some interesting insights.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    Answer ✓

Do you already own a Maschine controller? Which one?

Just wondering, instead of getting a new MIDI controller like the S88 MK2, can I just get the Maschine MK3 and use my Fantom X8 as an external MIDI controller?

Yes... more on this later.

In other words, can the Maschine MK3 and the Fantom X8 combine to work like the S88 MK2 controller?

The short answer is "No" because many of Maschine's dedicated functions simply do not work with 3rd party keyboards, like Arp, Chords, etc... But it really depends on what you're expecting to be able to do.

If you just need to select the Pad, adjust the volume/pan, play around with the pre-mapped knobs of the instrument then the experience can be sort of similar, hard to say.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,038 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello

it's not exactly like an S88, but that will work, you can use just maschine or maschine VST inside a DAW. You can set it that midi goes to the selected pad, or send the keyboard to one pad and the pads on maschine to a different pad but you only can record on one group/pad. Or like i said, use it in a DAW. Hopefully someone else can add some interesting insights.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    Answer ✓

Do you already own a Maschine controller? Which one?

Yes... more on this later.

The short answer is "No" because many of Maschine's dedicated functions simply do not work with 3rd party keyboards, like Arp, Chords, etc... But it really depends on what you're expecting to be able to do.

If you just need to select the Pad, adjust the volume/pan, play around with the pre-mapped knobs of the instrument then the experience can be sort of similar, hard to say.

• 3DSounds
    3DSounds Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thank you all very much for your feedbacks.

I didn't have any NI products before, until now.

I just bought a used Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 at a very good price last week. The keybed is not weighted, but it feels really well made. It does make navigating the software a lot easier. Maybe I will upgrade to the S88 MK2 in the future for the weighted keybed.

Again, thank you everyone!