When I change cue points of track in a Traktor playlist, it changes it in other playlists!

danmadams
danmadams Member Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Also when I open up my iTunes folder in traktor all the songs show up cue points from Traktor playlist.

As an fyi my Traktor did crash yesterday and I had to set it up again using the set up wizard and spend time trying to get back to the old display I had before.

any help on this cue point issue would be much appreciated - is it some sort of mapping issue?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru
    Answer ✓

The cue points are stored per track by design, I would consider it a convenience feature even. Having to update a track separately for every playlist it's in would be less user friendly, in my opinion.

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

You have make a copy of the "File".

Close Traktor then go into your music folder, find the file, copy it and rename it. Open Traktor and locate the renamed copy and add it to you collection.

Answers

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru
    Answer ✓

The cue points are stored per track by design, I would consider it a convenience feature even. Having to update a track separately for every playlist it's in would be less user friendly, in my opinion.

• danmadams

But sometimes you want to mix same track in to different tracks and thus different cue points

is the problem I’m describing the default setting? For instance if I have same track playing in A and B from different playlists, if I change a cue on one side, it automatically change it on the other? Thanks dan

• Wyley

This is not a problem. This is how info is stored for a single file.

If you really need to do what you are asking for then you can make a copy of the file and rename it. Track 1 and Track 1a.

• danmadams

Hi there - I changed name of track in playlist but it still seem to be linked to track in other playlist. What am I doing wrong apart from being a luddite.

• danmadams

Actually, I think I just renamed it. How do you make make a copy of file?

• Wyley
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

You have make a copy of the "File".

Close Traktor then go into your music folder, find the file, copy it and rename it. Open Traktor and locate the renamed copy and add it to you collection.

• danmadams

Sorry for being a luddite but when I click on mp3 file on my MacBook and make a copy and change name, when I bring it into iTunes it still has original name of track.

• Wyley
    edited January 2022

That's because even though you changed the file name when copying the file the meta data remains the same. iTunes browser afaik doesn't display the file path unless you right click the track in iTunes and go to file. Then you will see that the file name changed because you changed the file name. Now change the meta data like track name. Traktor's browser can show the file paths though.

Are you sure you want to go down this rabbit hole just to have different cues for the same song? Because you're going to have to do this for every song that you want to apply it to.

• danmadams

Thanks for his - as you say, it’s proper a hassle to do this everytime. I was hoping you could just make a copy in Traktor. Oh well. Thanks for help anyway

• Wyley

It's the same for everything. In iTunes if you want art work for a track in one playlist and different artwork for that same track in another playlist then apple will suggest the same thing.

• The Waxsurgeon
    The Waxsurgeon Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Just came across this post when thinking about my own feature update request.

It would be amazing to me at least if there was a way to create a 'mixtape' playlist that for each of the tunes, there were a unique set of cue points for every tune in the mixtape.

This would be very useful in a number of ways

1) A given tune will have different optimum cue points when mixing into other tunes (to avoid clashing lyrics of different songs for example).

2) If there were cue points per 'mixtape' there could be many different tunes that would mix into the tune in question (across all those different mixtapes) with the unique given cue points for each and when mixing on the fly, if there was a way to search all of the other tunes that follow the tune in question in the other mixtapes, you could immediately make a decision of what the next tune to mix should be (with the correct cue ponts all ready to avoid clashes and ensure the optimum mix). Would help with my poor memory if anything else!!

3) This allows a library of mixes with a given tune to be formulated giving the dj more options and creative choice and aid in reacting better to crowd/party conditions etc.

4) Would be useful for scratch djs (or djs just wanting to add some sample flavour) as well for cueing different samples for a given scratch sample track or acapella, for different mixtapes.

5) This would also create a more cohesive relationship with dj and the platform in my opinion as over time you would build up a library of mixes (some might have been from years ago) that can be called up for the track playing in an instance making the djing experience more enjoyable.

Anyway, fingers crossed this is considered as I think it would be a sea change in the way cue points could be used with the addition of the 'mixtape' feature.