Midi learn funtion not working.

Mike W2
Mike W2 Member Posts: 3 Member

Just upgraded to Kontakt 7 and for some reason the midi learn function is not working with any of the instruments in the new Kontakt factory library 2. I right click on a parameter and nothing happens. Anyone else run into this problem or have any ideas what it could be. Still works fine with all other instruments.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Correct, the old right-click method to MIDI learn parameters is not currently available for the instruments which use the Native UI toolkit.

Actually the new method can be much, much faster when assigning multiple parameters, because you can click the Learn button twice and then it becomes "locked", so you can move your MIDI controller knob, then click on the parameter, then move another MIDI controller knob, then click on parameter, etc. You don't have to right-click every parameter to choose MIDI learn. Ends up being way faster.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

on the left side, where you see the libraries go to the "automation tab" then "midi automation", there you can learn a knob and right after select the parameter you want to control. It´s really self explainatory once you are on the tab and pressed learn.

• Mike W2

Hi Uwe303,

Thanks for the work around.🙂 It does work this way however it is so much quicker and easier to just "right click" on a knob and learn it, it's literally 2 steps. Is this function just not available at all with any of the instruments in the new factory library 2 ??? I just want to know if I'm missing something here. If the function is just not available with these instruments then it just is what it is. I just can't find any official answer or solution to this. Like I said "right click" midi learn works just fine with all of my other instruments, just not the new ones in the new Kontakt library that came with Kontakt 7. For now I'll use the method you mentioned, it does work but it sure would be nice to just 'right click' and done. If you have any more info on this please share, Thanks. 😀

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

I don't know but i will ask

• EvilDragon
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Correct, the old right-click method to MIDI learn parameters is not currently available for the instruments which use the Native UI toolkit.

Actually the new method can be much, much faster when assigning multiple parameters, because you can click the Learn button twice and then it becomes "locked", so you can move your MIDI controller knob, then click on the parameter, then move another MIDI controller knob, then click on parameter, etc. You don't have to right-click every parameter to choose MIDI learn. Ends up being way faster.

• Mike W2
    edited October 2022

Thank you EvilDragon.

Do you know if the 'right click' feature will be available in the future? I typically only need to assign a couple parameters to a midi controller. Like maybe assigning the amount of reverb to a slider, or turning delay on and off. For me it's much quicker to right click a parameter or 2 since the interface is already in front of me, now I have to open up separate menus to do the same thing. It's a work flow thing for me. Just seems silly they would take away such a simple feature on an "upgrade". I do get what you're saying about assigning multiples at one time though. 😉

• EvilDragon
    edited October 2022

I don't know if right-click will return or not. It's a complicated topic for a number of reasons.

• bufordosullivan
    bufordosullivan Member Posts: 7 Member

I am trying to automate the root chord for pure tuning, but it does not respond to dragging a midi channel over it. Any advice?

• bufordosullivan
    bufordosullivan Member Posts: 7 Member

... to clarify, using NI Orchestral Tools in Kontakt 7, I am trying to automate pure tuning root chord on the options page, and I'm having no luck trying to find the midi channel that controls it.

• McClaneonfire
    McClaneonfire Member Posts: 148 Member
    edited November 2023

Thank you - that was exactly what I was looking for! Also missed the right-click option and this Tab I never used - since now :D

Turn the knob you need on your keyboard when you're here:

1. you see a red mark flashing while turning the knob
    2. then drag it to the wanted parameter / or click Learn (low left corner)
    3. it should be conected now

In my case my keyboard was the problem - it was sending Midi with the keybed - BUT funnily not via the turnable knobs. So I set it right to send Midi also on the knobs and tada the red mark in Kontakt now appears.

So it is always possible to find out that something completely different was the error.

So, if the red mark is not flashing, you're controlling keyboard might not send on the right Midi channel / or in Kontakt options under Midi it is not set right. Or just turn Send-Midi on your Keyboard on and off and on again...