CPU Hogs - Pharlight, Straylight and Ashlight

markap
markap Member Posts: 2 Member

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how to use these instruments in Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol without totally blowing out your CPU? One instance of Pharlight in latest Ableton update is enough to overload my CPU to the point of audio breakup. That's on a recently built custom music computer and Windows 11.

Comments

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro

On the old forum @EvilDragon crushed a lot of people's misconceptions about what a powerful enough CPU for those three instruments is.

:))

I would love an actual shopping list of possible CPUs that can actually handle the *light trilogy

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod

Anything that runs at 4 GHz and above should be good.

• lHorizonl
    lHorizonl Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

gotta disagree, 7700K is above and to weak, I swapped now to m2 and still see, that its very hungry.

single thread performance and cpu cache is a thing as far as I understood but until today I am not really sure what matters.

ashligtht with the "dormen" preset is very cpu hungry....very

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

I run Light on Win tablet with rather weak CPU (i5 4C/8T @ 2.5 GHz or so).... I may run about two instances at most. I have that tablet just for light sketching my ideas....

I may run about 10 instances of Light, on better computer (AMD 5700G 8C/16T @ 4+ Ghz).

So, there might be some other problem on your setup. You may try to increase the audio buffer, if acceptable.

Also, someone mentioned, that Light series uses hell of reverbs. Switching them off should lower CPU load considerably...