Adding already downloaded libraries (NA2)

Arthur Neeman
Arthur Neeman Member Posts: 37 Member
edited October 2022 in Native Access

Hi!

My mobile studio rig has a hiccup and now I have clean Windows 10 and surprisingly good new Native Access 2. Everything works as expected including new bugs, but the questions are about adding libraries.

I have Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's Edition and already spent whole yesterday to hit Locate button to add huge libraries one by one. Those are Instruments. It's nice that I haven't to have them download again.

Q1: Why there is no button Locate All? Or even better allow to select a bunch of items and have button Locate Selected. I'm sure most of NI users organize libraries so that all NI instruments and libraries (at least mandatory) are in one place. So, the button Locate All would help a lot.

Q2: Why there is no Locate button for Battery 4 Factory Library? It's the same constant as any other sample library. It is big enough to disturb any other things coming from Internet.

Also Absynth 5 I should download again despite of that sample library is already downloaded and isn't changed.

All other things are small enough and already downloaded. Reaktor Instruments, Effects and Applications.

Thank you, NI team, for your job. Nice NA2! I'm sure Kontakt 7 is brilliant with updated browsing.

P.S. If the upgrade price were affected by the fact that some of the libraries have already been purchased, I would not hesitate.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Q1 - A Locate all is in the backlog of the Native Access team. It might not come this year but probably early next year.

Q2 - That's true, hopefully this gets addressed too, but there are no plans at the moment.

Answers

• Larry R.
    Larry R. Member Posts: 12 Member

Q1 piggy back, I just went through something similar. I bought a new system, and moved my SSD to the new system. I didn't have the patience to do them one by one, so I just "installed" them again, as there isn't a "LOCATE ALL" option. You think it would be the case with such a large library.

• Arthur Neeman

Or better would be to have Locate Selected.

Technically it's the same as Locate All, because in both situations there is generated list of items, but just need to have a select box near title of each item. I did similar things some 20 years back, so I can help with programming, if it is so hard today :)

• Jeremy_NI
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Q1 - A Locate all is in the backlog of the Native Access team. It might not come this year but probably early next year.

Q2 - That's true, hopefully this gets addressed too, but there are no plans at the moment.

• Arthur Neeman

But Relocate All was in previous version of Native Access. Where it's gone?

• Jeremy_NI

@Arthur Neeman Yes it was a feature in Native Access 1. Native Access 2 is a different beast and the relocate all function will be implemented at a later time.

• Arthur Neeman

Oooh, Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition is some 800 GB (I don't know exactly) but it could take a week to download them again. Therefore I have NI libraries on second drive and on external drive just to be safe that I don't lose anything. So the worst chain is lack of Relocate All function. But I guess that we can run Native Access 1 to use Relocate All and then use Native Access 2 for newest features. I have old version of NA1, but sadly I didn't see today its installation on NI site. Two days back there was a selection page where we can choose NA1 or NA2, but today that page is gone. I'm sure @Jeremy_NI can give an exact link to download NA1.

• Arthur Neeman

Okay, is there a way to use previous version of Native Access? I have some earlier versions stored in my external drive, but if I run it, it offers to upgrade and there is no way to use NA1 :(

• Jeremy_NI

@Arthur Neeman Sorry if I was misleading. There is a distinction to make between "locate all" and "relocate all". There is indeed a relocate all function in Native Access 2 (and Native Access 1). That means if you move all your content on a given system, there is an option to relocate it. When installing NI products on a new system, you have to locate the library and not relocate. I hope I've cleared this out.

• Arthur Neeman

Yes, I understand this. I installed NA1 and there of course I didn't see "Locate all" button.

Of course I did locate all libraries one by one and it took too much time, but less than downloading 1 TB again. But question is why not to allow "locate all" on a new system? This lack of feature don't stop piracy at all, just makes setup longer for NI clients.

And I did it twice in last 7 days because my laptop's window was reinstalled and I bought new desktop with i7 11700. And I clearly know that if something is going wrong on system, the faster way is reinstall all and keep system as clean as possible. In this case it would be very ver very appreciate to have "locate all" feature on new systems too.

Even better -

Feature Request #1: implement "export setup" with an "import setup" + specifying drive and folder. So NA2 (maybe NA3) can locate libraries and those who missed should be located manually. So simple XML of setup where maybe advanced users could write new location of all libraries. And every item in XML could have relative path to main folder or full path if it differs from main folder.

Feature Request #2: Also, another feature needed - "remove library". Not hide but remove it from system (database) so it stays on disk and can be located later if needed. Yes, we have uninstall feature (but it removes files physically) as it's available in both systems (win,mac) but if so, then we don't need NA at all, right? So if it is library manager, the management itself means also removing, so please add uninstall/remove feature.

Feature Request #3: Allow locate/relocate Extensions. I have all extensions downloaded. It's more than 70 GB. I have them all on disks. And I cannot locate them nor add. Is it the only way to install them with NA2 that will download those 70 GB again? Why such inconvenience? I won't use them just because I don't have time to download them again and I don't remember which Extension was good for me. Better to have them all so Massive, FM8 and others have full list of presets.

Feature Request #4: And last but not least. Please add an option in configuration - keep downloaded files. Of course, it isn't so difficult to manage privacy/security, so system is capable to download, but not remove, even user has full access and can move/remove downloads. Take a look on VSL library manager - they have option "keep downloaded files", and "download only" - it's for systems where main studio computer isn't connected to internet. And there can be complex situations when "I can download now, but cannot install now, because of active workflow". So both options in configuration would be highly appreciate. The feature (VSL has) "install from disk" can be omited - I'm sure everyone can find installation file in Explorer and Finder :)

Thank you very much if you have read my novell till the end!

Have a nice weekend with thinking about your customers!

• Jeremy_NI

I forwarded your comments as feature requests.

• Arthur Neeman

Thank you very much!