M32 Issue - garbage characters on display in MIDI mode and 1.0.1 firmware version!

Steves
Steves Member Posts: 14 Member

I have had this issue with 2 brand new M32 units (returned the 1st one assuming a HW issue). When I run the latest firmware update app (140 MAC), it indicates the app firmware version is 0.4.5 but my units both had 1.0.1 so the app does not think it needs to update. Is this correct? - i.e. is the latest M32 firmware 1.0.1 or 0.4.5? Also both units have an issue in MIDI mode when the NI Host Integration agent is running. The 2nd knob always shows garbage characters instead of the proper label in the midi template. The unit also gets stuck in midi mode until it's repowered. Midi mode works fine if I terminate the host integration agent or if I plug the unit into an ipad (no host integration). Are units leaving the factory with untested beta firmware of some sort? I have trield multiple ports, different hubs/ direct connect, different accounts, and completely different MACs. Is there a way to force load 0.4.5 to an M32?

Does anyone have a similar experience with their new unit? What should the latest M32 firmware version be for the M32 (as displayed in the updater app). Here's what mine displays.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Steves

So I saw in another thread that others are seeing later firmware versions on their new A series units. Maybe NI needs to update the firmware on new units to deal with supply chain issues for internal components. In any case, it definitely appears that there is a MIDI mode bug in the 1.0.1 firmware for the M32 keyboard.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

Are you testing your issue just using the Komplete Kontrol standalone software (not within a DAW)?

• Steves

Yes - just using the latest KK standalone version 2.7.2 (R2) for mac. The KK browsing works as does DAW integration. The issues appear when you enter MIDI mode with the default template or with new templates I create in KK. When I turn the knobs using any Midi template, the display will show incorrect or garbage data for some knobs (always knob 2). And you can no longer exit midi mode (needs a repower). But, midi mode works fine if the NI Host Integration agent is not running (i.e. if I kill the agent or plug into a device like an ipad that does not use the agent). It appears as though there is a bug with the 1.0.1 firmware on the M32, or a bug with the app/ agent that comes with the latest KK 2.7.2. This is what the garbage data looks like.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

I'd say prob more a bug to do with macOS than anything else but yeah, sounds like some kind of bug since it affects only the MIDI template and that specific knob.

• Steves
    edited July 2022

yup - I agree as well. I'm not sure how much the KK Host Integration Agent is involved in the operations of the keyboard, but if it's essentially following everything the host is calling for then I would say it's a bug in KK 2.7.2. Looking at the release notes, there were midi template changes too in 2.7.2. I would love to be able to try 2.7.1 but native access does not allow me to go back. I have an active ticket with NI so once we get to the bottom of it I will post the answer here. I have to believe that everyone using a new M32 on a mac is experiencing this. Maybe MIDI mode when the KK host is active is not a popular workflow for people, but I was hoping to create templates for some other devices I have and pop into MIDI mode now and again - not doable as it stands now.

• Steves

I borrowed an M32 running 0.4.5 and it works perfectly! it's clearly a bug with the 1.0.1 firmware installed on the M32 from the factory. The bug must have been introduced between the 0.4.5 firmware and the 1.0.1 firmware shipping on at least some new units (at least the 2 that I purchased from an authorized retailer). Ticket with NI in progress. Will update here once I get a resolution from NI.

• introne
    introne Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2022

I've just got mine new M32 and it's exactly the same issue (but I'm on PC).

It's 2 momnths and nothing new at this point? Hmm.

• Steves

@introne I feel your pain. I tried everything (mac, pc, new usb cables, different hubs, etc. I have a ticket with NI and it is definitely an issue with the 1.0.1 firmware or a combination of 1.0.1 and HW changes they may have made. NI mentioned this was NOT a known issues and asked me to return the HW and try with a new unit. Same thing with the other unit. They wanted me to exchange it a 3rd time but there was no stock near me. Don't bother trying new units if they ask you to - they need an updated 1.0.1+ firmware or a way to downgrade to the public released firmware (0.4.5 I think) assuming it's compatible with any HW changes they may have made.

I stuck with NI for at least a month on this issue, but in the end I had to ask the stores to let me try used units until I found one with the released frmware - all good with the released firmware. So ultimately I lost interest in 1.0.1 but I am very surprised to hear they have not addressed this. The M32 must not be selling much or people must not be using MIDI mode. As far as I could tell, the host mode features worked fine. Good luck!

• introne

Yep, I've got 1.0.1 built into ordered unit, so in fact I've saw the problem immediately I wanted to rename parameters in the KK. I'll write to the Support as well.

• introne
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Hi, mine issue has been fixed by a new device with 0.4.5 firmware and all's good so far. Thanks!

• Steves

Same here - I would be interested in anyone that has had a fix from NI or has been able to get a 0.4.5 loader for the new hw that's shipping with 1.0.1. I'm interested in getting another M32 but won't until this has been fixed (not worth the hassle trying to get a new 0.4.5 unit).

• Giles
    Giles Member Posts: 10 Member

Just received my M32 this week and already I notice exactly the same issues - garbage in display of 2nd knob in MIDI mode, and I can't exit Midi mode without rebooting.

Is there anything I can do about this - is there a new firmware version?

• TSD
    TSD Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have the same issue as Giles ...2nd nob shows garbage and cant exit mode.... is there a way to check firmware status? or update it ( not done by the system)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey all, trying to get some info on that topic.

• junkilee
    junkilee Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited November 2023

I have the exact same issue as well. Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?