4-core or 12-core (4P/8E) CPU for Traktor

bdbtbb
bdbtbb Member Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Can Traktor even make use of a 12-core CPU? I don't know whether it is the OS that assigns work to cores or if Traktor application itself decides that. Maybe someone is knowledgeable about this kind of thing.

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,328 Expert

For me it barely uses 4 when playing.

But for analyzing a bunch of tracks it should use every core I think.

• bdbtbb
    bdbtbb Member Posts: 15 Member

Thanks - that's helpful info. I just want it to run things like consistency checks, analysis, as fast as possible. But I don't want to spend extra money on something that will literally have zero effect on how the app runs.

• rmn
    rmn Member Posts: 40 Helper

Traktor is a multi-threading powerhouse. Internal audio streams spawn new threads, there is QT and the javascript engine, all kinds of I/O.. I am not sure if there is some kind of upper boundary defined for parallelism and it depends on your setup as well. In general, with multi-channel DSP, more cores is more better.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,652 mod

Not sure if Traktor can utilize more than 1.7 Ghz and 4 cores. It is an old base code.

Multicore can help with bloatware processes though so you won't be suffering from having more cores.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

In my case Traktor uses at least 8 threads (4 physical and 4 virtual cores). I have i5 10th gen - like Carlos, but unlike him Traktor loads all 8 cores in my case.

But hard to say how well Traktor handles new Intel's big.little. It also depends on OS version, you should run Win11 to make 12th and higher gen. Intels run decently....

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro

From my years with Traktor I have always purchased a powerful laptop.

But more than anything I find that learning how to find the correct settings is more important.

But...sometimes like when I bought a Dell G7, the laptop can be expensive and still just have issues. Or an update can cause problems.

There is a program called Process Lasso, that works well, especially if you want to force applications to certain cores.

I used latencymon to see what cores I could force Traktor to on my Dell with Process Lasso and had much better performance.

With my newer laptop I have really no issues with Traktor Dpc Latency. When using the S4mk3 with Asio drivers. Wasapi drivers don't work for me.