Bug Report - Massive X Hung Notes in Ableton Live 11.1

Wall Bird
Wall Bird Member Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2022 in Massive X & Synths

Apologies in advance if this is not the best place to report bugs. I did a search for where I should report and found no conclusive answer, or else broken links for reporting.

Issue: I am experiencing hung notes with Massive X when I stop the transport in Ableton Live 11.1

When I stop playback on the transport the note holds forever until I restart the transport and it receives a few Note On/Note Off for that pitch. Nothing I do (short of muting the audio output) will stop the note. Not even disabling/re-enabling my instance of Massive X. I do not experience this issue with other synth plugins, so I feel confident that it is exclusive to Massive X.

I know that this bug is also exclusive to Live 11.1 (The M1 compatible version) because I do not experience this issue in the Intel version (11.0).

Tech Specs: As of 5/19/22 my instances of both Massive X and Ableton (11.1.5) are up to date. I thought that updating both of them might resolve the issue, but it persists.

Hardware-wise I am using a 16" 2021 Macbook Pro (M1) with OS Monterey 12.2.1

If there is a place where I can formally submit this bug, kindly direct me towards it.

Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,311 mod

Hey @Wall Bird Are you using a sustain pedal at all ? Can you reproduce the issue with no sustain pedal connected ?

• Wall Bird
    Wall Bird Member Posts: 5 Member

I just checked, and yes I am able to recreate this with no sustain pedal connected. In fact, there's no sustain pedal information being used in the session that I'm testing.

• Jeremy_NI

@wallbach We couldn't reproduce the issue. We'll nned more specifics:

Does it happen in every project, even a new one ?

Does it happen with any Massive X preset or specific ones ?

Do you have any other MIDI devices connected ?

How do you enter the notes ? With a keyboard, by drawing notes in a MIDI clip ? With the computer keyboard ?

Can you reproduce the issue in a blank project and upload the Ableton project here ?

• kamikade
    kamikade Member Posts: 1 Member

Hey, I can confirm the problem.

No sustain pedal info.

Happened in several projects under Live 11.1 and Massive X 1.4.0

• nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor

I can confirm it too, it happens from time to time. macOS 12.4, Live 11.1. (native, using Apple‘s AU compability layer).

Right now I can’t reproduce it with the most recent updates installed, but I’m confident it’d occur sooner or later. Anyway, I’ve stopped using Massive X because of this, I’ve decided to wait for the native version.

• Jeremy_NI

@kamikade It seems that it happens for M1 users, do you also have a M1 computer ? Do you run Ableton in Rosetta mode or native mode ?

• nanotable

Here's a way to reproduce the problem, I hope:

Start Live in native mode. Create a MIDI track, load MX. Draw a note (longer notes make it easier). Press play: MX triggers and stops the note as expected. But when you stop Live's playback while the note is still playing, you should get a hanging note.

I couldn't reproduce it while running Live using Rosetta.

M1 Macbook, Live 11.1.5, macOS 12.4, Massive X 1.4.1. The problem occured with earlier versions (of everything listed, bar the laptop) as well.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey everyone, Massive X doesn't have M1 native support yet. If you want to use it you need to run Ableton in Rosetta mode. How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

Native support should come for Massive X in the next months.

• nanotable
    Answer ✓

This free M4L device solves the problem when running Live natively on Apple Silicon machines: https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6871/shutthefuckup

• abnegative
    abnegative Member Posts: 59 Helper

I'm having this problem on Windows 10 in FL Studio. It's difficult to reproduce on demand, but it happens often while playing, even without activating the sustain pedal.

• dashbob
    dashbob Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022

Hi all,

got the same issue in Live 11 with an M1. Massive X is updated. It's October now, M1 is getting two years old.

But I just decided I'll switch to Serum and leave the NI update mess behind me.

I mean it's not like you could expect a rather rcent and not cheap piece of software synth to run with a current mass production hardware + OS. That's certainly too much to ask.

Cheers