Linux - Massive X Presets

Stengah
Stengah Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Anyone using NI & Massive X on a linux system able to get the presets to work? My setup installs right from Native Access, however no presets are in the bank. Going to rescan, it will scan the banks, but nothing will populate. Even presets I try to create will create a file in my wine prefix at /.wine/drive_c/users/XXXXXX/My Documents/Native Instruments/User Content/Massive X/Presets/ but those will not be visible in the preset bank.

Loading presets isn't an issue on all the other plugins (Absynth, Guitar Rig, FM8, original Massive, etc.) Any advice?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jon Watte
    Jon Watte Member Posts: 77 Advisor
    Answer ✓

You should be able to use strace on the process to figure out where it's trying to look for presets.

Then perhaps you can add a symlink or whatever to point that location, at where the presets actually live? It does sound like you're running into some virtualization problem similar to UAC on Windows, but if you track down what it's actually trying to do, you may be able to convince it to work.

Answers

• Jon Watte
    Jon Watte Member Posts: 77 Advisor
    Answer ✓

You should be able to use strace on the process to figure out where it's trying to look for presets.

Then perhaps you can add a symlink or whatever to point that location, at where the presets actually live? It does sound like you're running into some virtualization problem similar to UAC on Windows, but if you track down what it's actually trying to do, you may be able to convince it to work.

• Laurence Taylor
    Laurence Taylor Member Posts: 10 Member

I think this is between 1.3.6 and 1.4 (don't forget the library is a separate install). I can make presets in the user folder, but copying presets to the user folder doesn't work.

It's fairly maddening.

• mdiemer
    mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member

I also have a preset problem, but on Kontakt. I can use their reverb, and set it to Hall or Room, but then there are no presets available, it's grey-ed out. This only happened recently. I was able to choose presets just a month or so ago, so something changed. And no, don't expect to get any help on this. It's as if Linux users are invisible. You usually get hit with "Our products are not supported on Linux. Tough zhyt...."

• mdiemer
    mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member

Now it's working. I have a new Ubuntu Minimal install, and now I have presets. So it was probably something in my other system. No idea what, but sometimes when you do everything new, glitches you had the last time go away.

Guess I was a bit hasty (not to mention grumpy) with my previous remark....

• GoaSkin
    GoaSkin Member Posts: 26 Member

This isn't a Linux/WINE problem but a generic problem. Some Windows/ macOS also don't see any Massive X presets since they installed the latest updates.

There seems to be a bug in the update procedure with the result that Massive doesn't catalogize the presets anymore in some cases.

• GoaSkin
    GoaSkin Member Posts: 26 Member

Examining the problem deeper, I found out that there are two database files used for the preset catalogue: content.db and komplete.db3. Both database files are in SQLite format and can be examined using a SQLite browser or in any database application using ODBC drivers.

Both database files are created on Linux but in the komplete.db3 file, half of the tables is missing for any reason. In other works, it contains populated tables for anything except the preset information. While the SQLite progredures embedded into Massive X generally seem to work with WINE, something fails in the step to generate the data for the preset information.