Kontakt installation

DigitalElf23
DigitalElf23 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2022 in Kontakt

RE: Kontakt Installation

I have several SSDs in my Win 10 tower computer. Instead of installing Kontakt to my C:/ drive which houses the Operating System, can I install it to say the E:/ drive? I understand I must setup the following new folders...

E:/Users/Public/Documents/Kontakt

E:/Users/Public/Documents/Kontakt Factory Library

Will this work? HELP!

Regards,

MMcGaughey

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@DigitalElf23 It's better to leave the applications on your drive. For content you can choose whatever destination or drive you like, you don't even have to keep the user/Public/Document, etc.... directory name. You will find more info here: How to Change the Install Locations in Native Access

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

I set up a tower with just the application executables & VST's on the C:/drive built as a RAID 1 mirror, and steered ALL of the libraries to an NVMe drive without a hitch. The instruments, effects, and VST plugins all reside in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments and consume about 5Gb of drive space. My libraries are on F:\ and consume 1.6Tb.

Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor

I have found best to keep application on boot drive and put sample libs on external drive.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Yes, you can install Kontakt on other discs, than system one. It is even possible to install on multiple discs.

IMHO it is better to have libraries on internal discs as fast as possible (NVMe SSD). At least if you work with multiple big Kontakt libraries. I do not see any advantage to have libraries on external disc, unless you have limited capacity on internal one, or want to share library between more computers or update computers quite often.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@DigitalElf23 It's better to leave the applications on your drive. For content you can choose whatever destination or drive you like, you don't even have to keep the user/Public/Document, etc.... directory name. You will find more info here: How to Change the Install Locations in Native Access

• DigitalElf23
    edited October 2022

Thanks for your input. I am using 2 tower computers with 128GB of RAM, both have the latest Ryzen 10 Core CPU and 12SSDs each installed.

On my Master Computer: my C:/ drive is a 1TB M2 card. All of the other SSDs are 2TB. I previously have been working with Kontakt 6 and just loaded Kontakt 7. My problem is that I do not have enough empty space on the C:/ drive to install the Kontakt Factory Library 2.......

This is why I asked if I could install Kontakt 7 and its FACTORY Library 2 on another drive.

HELP!

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

I set up a tower with just the application executables & VST's on the C:/drive built as a RAID 1 mirror, and steered ALL of the libraries to an NVMe drive without a hitch. The instruments, effects, and VST plugins all reside in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments and consume about 5Gb of drive space. My libraries are on F:\ and consume 1.6Tb.

• DigitalElf23
    edited October 2022

Thanks, Everyone for your Help! I will try your suggestions.