Re-installing Absynth 3 on a new computer

lazo
lazo Member Posts: 1 Member

I purchased Absynth 3 about 15 years ago or so. I can't remember if the install was difficult or frustrating as it was a long time ago. I used that softsynth for several years. Most here know it was/is a unique/cool sounding softsynth.

I had my home studio up and running for several years and then shut it down as I was busy doing live shows. At the end of this summer I was ready to get my home studio up and running. Acquired a new computer, began getting some new software and was ready to start recording. I remembered I had a copy of Absynth and thought I would install it on my new system.

All was going smoothly until a pop up window appeared telling me I had 30 days to register my copy of Absynth. Well, the clock started it's countdown. I went to the NI site and discovered Absynth had been dis-continued some years ago. I decided to try and contact NI support to find out what I needed to do. ******. It took me a while to find the email link for NI support but I managed. There were a couple of issues. My NI account was linked to a Hotmail email account which no longer existed and not being able to register my copy of Absynth.

The reply to my initial inquiry seemed as if the support tech didn't even read my questions. The reply said,"It seems as though you have 2 different NI accounts. Do you want us to merge your accounts?". No mention of my problem trying to register my copy of Absynth. After 3 or 4 emails back and forth I wrote. "OK, I have one more question and I will not contact you ever again."

I had had enough. All the time I wasted trying to get an almost 20 year old softsynth to work, the arrogant and pretentious replies to my questions, not only was I exasperated, I was offended. I realize we're talking about support for a very old and discontinued piece of software but how does this disconcerting reciprocal action with a support rep inspire me to purchase another NI product. I don't think I'll be spending $1,500. CAD on a copy of Komplete 14 none to soon.

We as musicians/producers/customers shouldn't have to turn to a "Forum" to get support for a company's products. I have in the past with other companies for hardware and software with impressive results but it should not have to be so. We shouldn't be directed to a FAQ page on their website or be encouraged to join a forum in order to address issues with their products.

I know, way too long dude but can anyone answer my question?

Will my copy of Absynth cease to function after the 30 day period from when I tried to re-install it on a new computer.

(Sorry, one more thing to add.) The pompous NI support tech re-assured me that my copy of Absynth was indeed registered.

Thank You in advance for any answers or advice.

lazo

Toronto, Canada

Best Answer

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

Absynth is now a discontinued product by NI.

Yes, I miss also some instruments like B4 and Pro-53. Since my OS change in June this year.

But life goes on and my own Reaktor monsters runs very fine.

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

Absynth is now a discontinued product by NI.

Yes, I miss also some instruments like B4 and Pro-53. Since my OS change in June this year.

But life goes on and my own Reaktor monsters runs very fine.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited October 2022

1) Is Absynth listed on your current NI account? You might have two accounts and Absynth is listed to the other one. It is not possible to register it to "new" account if it is already registered on "old" one.

That is probably why NI has asked you if you want them to join your accounts...

2) Only Absynth 5 may be activated. NI has dropped possibility to activate older versions, two years ago. It is IMHO against the law and EULA, but NI has decides so... :-(

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006053397-Service-Center-and-Legacy-Products-End-of-Life

So, if you want use Absynth, you need to get upgrade to Absynth 5. As NI does not sell it, the only way is secondhand. I saw person selling Absynth 5 licenec in Buy and Sell section on this forum.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    edited October 2022

Pretty sure if it displays the demo message it will stop working but it’s pretty old tech now so who knows, cross that bridge when you get there.

I keep a stack of old hard drives that still have installs of windows XP on them and an older computer for old projects from decades ago. Just something you have to accept man, just because you spend $100 on a synth does not mean it should work forever and have top tier product support 20 years later… I mean, you bought a new computer after years I assume because your old one either died or became old and obsolete? I spent hundreds on a Blu-ray burner for my computer for backups, then hard drives became way more affordable and easier to manage so I never burnt a single disc with it. It’s been unused so long now it doesn’t even open. Time simply makes things obsolete and so we just have to move on.