How to create a Pattern in the middle of the song?

Swisher Sweet
Swisher Sweet Member Posts: 23 Member

I have created a song on MASCHINE+. However, I want to add pads (external MIDI keyboard) only on certain parts of the song.

I was able to create a new group and get my MIDI keyboard working/recording, however, I don't know how to "punch in" per se, at the right time of the song. I don't think starting to record from the song beginning makes sense, does it?

How does one create a new group Pattern that doesn't start at the beginning of the song?

Tagged:

Comments

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro
    edited October 2022

Yo! I believe what you need is to use the “clips” function. I rarely use it but I think this link will be able to point you in the right direction!

https://youtu.be/HsO3REVH3vM

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

How is the rest of your Song structured? Are there several Sections in Song mode?

• Swisher Sweet
    edited October 2022

Hi, yes I have multiple sections in the song. Something like Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Chorus...

• Swisher Sweet

If I could figure out how to mute the other groups I guess I could record the Pattern out of time with the rest of the song. Then I insert the Pattern into the appropriate Scenes.

Also, if I could figure out how to play and record alone with just a Scene and not the entire song, that could be ideal as well.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

You could either stay in Song mode and activate a loop for the Section containing the Scene you want to record into. Or switch to Ideas mode and activate the Scene which then will loop automatically, and switch back to Song mode upon finishing the overdubs.

Ideas and Song mode are some of Maschine’s most important core concepts. I’d like to suggest reading the corresponding chapters in the manual.

As mentioned by @djadidai you could also use Clips instead of Patterns, which can be freely placed and moved independently from Sections/Scenes. However, Clips are tied to Song mode and may be automatically deleted if you change the arrangement of your Song.

• Swisher Sweet
    edited October 2022

@ozon thank you, this suggestion worked for me. Navigating MASCHINE+ is not very intuitive for me, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.