Vintage Organs MIDI Mapping

dbphiladelphia
dbphiladelphia Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Kontakt

On the surface, this might seem like basic MIDI stuff, but I've never had these issues with other software. I very simply want to map assignments with my M-Audio Oxygen 61. It's a pretty perfect controller setup for rocking a Hammond, drawbar and all. In performance, I use my iPad Pro and a fantastic app called The Galileo Organ. MIDI CC# learning is a no-brainer, and my settings are saved, so it's totally a plug & play scenario. This was my introduction to the concept of MIDI.

Fast forward to my home recording setup. Running the Kontakt Player in plugin mode within my DAW (Tracktion Waveform) brings other weirdisms, but for the purposes of this question, I'll go with standalone mode. For one, there's default mapping happening that I can't override. For instance, CC#7 (which happens to be my top drawbar) also controls the instrument volume. I imagine that I can probably get into the Oxygen61 settings and change that, but it's a bit frustrating that it doesn't seem that it can be unmapped within the Vintage Organ software. Same goes for some other values (panning is CC#10, for instance). Is there a way to open the entire map and change values manually?

Additionally, I've tried to save snapshots of settings, but that doesn't seem to keep them, so I have to remap my drawbars every time. I do have the manual, but it's not terribly specific about much, and certainly not about this. All a bummer, because the sound is terrific. I could just go back to my iPad setup and patch it in, but I'd like to keep it internal for the sake of full MIDI control to "clean up" performance.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Dave

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Based on the Midi CC spec, CC#7 as well as CC#10 are reserved for Instrument Volume and Pan (they are Global Default Parameters) and cannot but unmapped from that functionality, but Kontakt's flexibility allows you to assign that same CC# to other controls if you wish.

From the Manual:

"Multiple parameters can be assigned to the same automation source. This allows you to control multiple aspects of your Instrument with a single controller, such as increasing the brightness of an Instrument in combination with the loudness. Also note that modulation wheels usually send MIDI Controller #1, while volume controls send #7."

With that said, you would need to choose an Undefined CC# or use a CC# that is not defined as a "Default" in Kontakt (not aware of a list of "Global" defaults).

for reference, here is a link to a Midi CC list. I would avoid using the "Most Common" CC#s when assigning to Controls.

MIDI CC List (Quick Guide) - Professional Composers

And once you have made changes to the any Midi assignments to an instrument, you must "Save" the instrument... Automation/Midi Controller settings are stored per instrument in the NKI they are not stored Globally or in Snapshots in Kontakt.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Based on the Midi CC spec, CC#7 as well as CC#10 are reserved for Instrument Volume and Pan (they are Global Default Parameters) and cannot but unmapped from that functionality, but Kontakt's flexibility allows you to assign that same CC# to other controls if you wish.

From the Manual:

"Multiple parameters can be assigned to the same automation source. This allows you to control multiple aspects of your Instrument with a single controller, such as increasing the brightness of an Instrument in combination with the loudness. Also note that modulation wheels usually send MIDI Controller #1, while volume controls send #7."

With that said, you would need to choose an Undefined CC# or use a CC# that is not defined as a "Default" in Kontakt (not aware of a list of "Global" defaults).

for reference, here is a link to a Midi CC list. I would avoid using the "Most Common" CC#s when assigning to Controls.

MIDI CC List (Quick Guide) - Professional Composers

And once you have made changes to the any Midi assignments to an instrument, you must "Save" the instrument... Automation/Midi Controller settings are stored per instrument in the NKI they are not stored Globally or in Snapshots in Kontakt.

• dbphiladelphia
    dbphiladelphia Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited January 2022

Thanks very much! I'm a musician for love and a computer nerd for a living, but I hate mixing the two, so that tends to make my head hurt. I'm surprised that I haven't run into that issue prior, as I've never changed anything on the Oxygen before. More annoyingly, mine's an older model, and M-AUDIO's support section has docs for the current version and a much older one, but not seeing mine. Fortunately, this setting (screensnip below) made more sense to me based on what you said, and it does allow you to disable the standard of 7 for volume and 10 for pan. I now have exactly what I want without having to reprogram my Oxygen.

As for my other issue of getting it to map right, I'll share for any other newbs. While I know that I can configure my DAW to accept and assign mapping correctly, it was easier to just run the instrument in standalone mode, set my mapping and save as a new instrument. Then, when I open it in the DAW, everything is right where I want it.

Much thanks again for the info! I've saved it for future reference.

• Blindeddie

funny, I knew that setting existed, but I was looking on the wrong place, so I thought I was going crazy… was looking at the main preferences and completely brain farted on instrument settings🤪. So thanks for refreshing my memory!!!