Need Soft Takeover for Pioneer XDJ-700!

DJBoni
DJBoni Member Posts: 39 Member

Can somebody tell me if it possible or not to activate "Soft Takeover" for the Pioneer XDJ-700? If not, i stop searching and can only hope Native Instruments makes it possible in the future.

I find it very weird that NI as the only one chose for unchangeable "Hard Takeover" as standard on the Pioneer XDJ-700, where Pioneer's own Recordbox software has standard unchangeable "Soft Takeover', as well Virtual DJ and algoriddim's djay software. 

I already shared this idea for Traktor Pro >Overmap the XDJ-700 with TRAKTOR PRO 3

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod

Hello,

there is relative or direct, so no soft takeover for absolute knobs.

• DJBoni

@Uwe303: thanks for answering.

Do you know if there is also no soft takeover for the XDJ-1000MK2?

I bought the XDJ-700 since i read this news: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/news/2020/xdj-1000mk2-xdj-700-traktor-pro-3-compatibility/

And i see Pioneer is only selling the CDJ-3000, XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product/player/

Is the CDJ-3000 the only one where Native Instruments made soft takeover possible?

• Uwe303

I was just talking about midi, hid could be maybe different, but as far as i know HID is just a container where all kinds of different signals can go through, also midi but stuff to control displays and so on. I guess if you want to map it yourself you have to switch it into midi mode, if available. Im not the greatest traktor expert but i will try to ask native guys.

I tried a bit and tempo adjust always has soft takeover for me after adding it as input.

Maybe you also have to just add the xdj 700 as hid device in order to overmap something? Or second method use midi mode but that is not the best option i guess.

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

@Uwe303: As far as i understand it now: When the Pioneer XDJ-700 is used in HID mode, there is only relative or direct mode for the pitch fader, so no 'soft takeover' option for the pitch fader possible.

Till now, i've alway's connected my pair of Pioneer XDJ-700's through usb with my MacBook Pro 16 inch M1 and pushed the "link" button on the XDJ-700's screen as shown in the beginning on YouTube / Pioneer XDJ-700: Function overview in Traktor Pro 3. So this is HID mode.

The only way for me to have soft takeover available is by connecting through MIDI, als shown here on YouTube XDJ-700s + Traktor (Mac) and find the .TSI mapping file (which is not downloadable anymore) in which - by going in Traktor Preferences / Controller Manager - i could activate 'soft takeover'.

• Uwe303

That's somehow strange, i will definitely ask native why one controller can do that and another can't. So to be clear, you can add a xdj 700 as hid device and use the custom mapping to override the pitch but missing the soft takeover function?

• Uwe303

Ohh and i don't know if it will work with the XDJ-1000MK2.

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

i'm connecting my pair of XDJ-700's every weekend in HID mode to my laptop (together with other devices, see screenshot in attachment) but cannot use custom mapping to override anything at all in the XDJ-700 simply because nothing shows up when i select the Pioneer DJ.XDJ-700 in Controller Manager! See my first screenshot in my topic Overmap the XDJ-700 with TRAKTOR PRO 3.

• Yes please, ask native, i also like to know why one controller can do that and another can't.

PS: meanwhile i found back the XDJ-700.tsi MIDI mapping file (see attachment) that i downloaded in november last year from Traktorbible which i found watching the YouTube the XDJ-700s + Traktor (Mac) video. See screenshot under from the .tsi file in Traktor. But also with that .tsi file added in Traktor, i cannot activate Soft Takeover in the XDJ-700. 😑

So i am totally confused already for a year now since i bought my pair of XDJ's 700. I want nothing more than "Soft Takeover" activated but can't get it to work.

• Do i even need a .tsi MIDI file made by a third party to obtain "Soft Takeover" in the XDJ 700??? 🤔

Many years ago i found & downloaded a .tsi MIDI file for my old Denon DH-4500 HERE (see screenshot in attachment) and was able to activate ""Soft Takeover" and it simple works.

The idea was to replace my old Denon DH-4500 controller with a pair of newly bought XDJ 700's (see picture of my discobar in attachment) but i can't as long i have no Soft Takeover on the XDJ 700's.

kind Regards

• Uwe303

You need a tsi file, just add the controller as hid, then add a custom mapping and add tempo as input, learn it, then normally you have the soft takeover function. But if it works as hid is it then not automatically working with soft takeover? Really strange thing definitely.

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

Since Traktor 3.3 i just have to connect my pair of XDJ 700's to my Mac laptop, select "LINK" on each of the XDJ 700's screen, choose deck A or B and that's it, HID mode works. But i never found how to have soft takeover function.

Ok, i need a .tsi file you say. I assume you mean without making or finding a .tsi file i will never obtain soft takeover on my XDJ 700's. That's clear then. Since these are my first Pioneer DJ players i wasn't sure about that since they work out of the box in HID mode with since Traktor 3.3.

It's also confusing when i take this How to Overmap the CDJ 3000 with TRAKTOR PRO 3 as a guide for doing the activating Soft Takeover for my XDJ 700's. Since i wasn't sure this article is also meant for the XDJ 700's.

I think - but i'm not sure anymore since i gave up after so many times of trying in the past year - that i got stuck in step 4 of Example #2 in the article. In step 4 the last additional setting is:

• Override Factory Map: Activated

As far as i can remember, i never saw that Override Factory Map option. Without having and activating that "Override Factory Map" option it will never work seems to be obvious. The absence of this option is also visible in the screenhot of the 'Pioneer XDJ 700 TE0 F.tsi i uploaded.

I'v tried it so many times but i'll give it another try when i am in the club and connect the XDJ 700's to my laptop.

thanks for your support. i'll let you know if i succeed or not in another attempt.

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

I still have to confirm (i will take screenshots) if there is really no "Override Factory Map" option when i'm editing my my XDJ 700's in Controller Manager, but i'm beginning to be pretty sure since i also own a Traktor Kontrol S4 MK3 DJ-controller (not connected to my laptop now) which i have edited a long time ago to have soft takeover (See screenshot), which was a peace of cake. So i know how it works.

To be continued when i have my XDJ 700's again connected to my laptop.

• Uwe303

Ohh sorry you understood it wrong, you need a tsi file, but you can make it yourself, i was not clear about that. And you only see the override function after you add the controller as hid device, then it is listed under the "controller manager" entry, like seen in your picture with the S4 mk3, then add a custom mapping with the same inputs and outputs. But you already said you will test it if you can. I have no answer yet from native.

• Uwe303

So ok I was totally wrong, i was not aware of controllers like the xdj 700, where, as you already described, you just set the deck or decks you want to control on the xdj and it works just like that. So I've learned something new again. There are hid devices with an extra entry under prefs and also without? But why? I played a bit with adding some pioneer devices and one was also not showing an extra entry and additionally an empty mapping, but there is for sure one in the background, must be. But with every controller i added i was able to add Tempo Adjust and select soft takeover - i could not test it cause i don't own those controllers, sorry again for waisting your time. Will report if i have an answer from native.

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

Thanks for your support.

I'm in the club now and got my both XDJ 700's connected in HID mode. See in controller manager...

Indeed, there are Pioneer hid devices like the CDJ-3000 with an extra entry under prefs and hid devices like the XDJ-700 (and probably also the XDJ-1000MK2) without. But why?

I checked it one more time following example #2 in this guide How to Overmap the CDJ 3000 with TRAKTOR PRO 3. So i go to TRAKTOR Preferences > Controller Manager and select Pioneer XDJ-700 as the Device.

See...

Then i Click Add In... and see this...

Where i should see this like in the CDJ 3000 overmap guide....

When i choose Pioneer DJ and select XDJ-700, see....

I got a third "Pioneer DJ.XDJ-700 (none) device", see...

and i am back to start. So no progress.

Then i tried an new generic midi (see screenshots under) which doesn't work either.

And another one...

No way. In can't activate Soft Takeover in my XDJ-700's either this way with a generic midi. One of the reasons must be the absence of the option "override factory Mapping" i assume.

It is as you wrote: "There are hid devices with an extra entry under prefs and also without? But why?"

Now we have to wait wat native say's.

Thanks again for you support!

• Uwe303

Have you tried to unselect "learn" after you've learned the fader, there is clearly midi coming in, otherwise you would not be able to learn the fader. Have you also asked in the pioneer forum, there you have maybe more xdj 700 users, i would at least try to ask there too

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

Yes, i have tried to unselect "learn" after i've learned the fader with no result.

I'm sure whatever i do in the generic midi i created is not going to work since there is no "Override Factory Map" possibility.

When i delete these two which i've outlined in red en quit Traktor en start Traktor again they are back, which is normal since they are a part of TRAKTOR version 3.3.0. The XDJ-700's "listen" to those setting which are not editable and can't be overwritten by a selfmade generic midi.

When i ask it on the Pioneer forum they will send me to here since there are only a few XD-700 users. But i'll open a request that I don't expect anything from except redirecting me to native instruments.

So i'm stuck for already a year. 😕