Clicks

mason drielling
mason drielling Member Posts: 53 Member

Massive has this problem too. Other synths in Maschine do not. If one monophonic signal cuts another off before the first reaches 0db, it can create a pop or click.

You can use a limiter, clipper, compressor, or change the attack, but these are all destructive edits. You can also sometimes still hear the click.

It's not a bug. But as a long time Maschine user and 808 enthusiast it's a huge pet peeve for me. For people who use a lot of samples in their beats, a more permanent fix for this may make a big difference.

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,353 Expert

Could you share detailed instructions on how to reproduce this problem using Samples/Sounds from the Maschine 2 Factory Library?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod

Sounds like a zero-crossing issue to me.

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor

That was my thought as well but it sounds like this is happening for VSTs as opposed to samples. I guess it’s still possible to get the clicks from the zero-crossing but I would have figured the VSTs have something built in to prevent that like continuing to play the tails of the sound or whatever.

I don’t know if I’ve ever noticed this and if I have I don’t know how you would tell if it was the zero-crossing issue or a buffer/latency issue since it’s a VST.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited October 2022

With samples it sometimes it happens for me too if the next hit cuts off the previous out of zero-crossing, and in some synths too for bass sounds, especially in Massive, in such cases, I just add a bit of release so it doesn't stop too abruptly out of ZC (sounds un-natural without it to me anyway).

I'm not very advanced in synth sound design to know if there's specific stuff to prevent it but I know Oscillator Phase can cause it and it's very common for patches to have a tiny bit of attack/release even when the sound is supposed to have a sharp transient, using values of zero tends to cause clicks.

For 808 samples I tend to use ADSR instead of One-Shot for more control so I don't have any issues but lots of folks prefer to have them always ring out, not sure how one would fix it that way.