Massive X undo / Redo??

aidenstunes
aidenstunes Member Posts: 163 Advisor
edited October 2022 in Massive X & Synths

Why the hell did NI think it would be a good idea to leave Massive X without an Undo / Redo button?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,591 mod
    Answer ✓

@aidenstunes I reached out to the Massive X team. There is no plan in the near future, it would need a huge rework and there are other priorities at the moment.

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

I guess none of its users make any kind of mistakes.

Just my 2 cents because... I'm more worried with the inability to expose several presets into Live, which is why I personally seldomly use X, despite it's nice potential.

• aidenstunes

@Nico_NI Dear Nico, I am tagging you since I have seen you are an active mod here in the Maasive X forum. Would you please be able to move the undo/redo function request forward to the team? I have noticed many other users complain about it, Is this feature even planned to be added soon?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,591 mod
    Answer ✓

@aidenstunes I reached out to the Massive X team. There is no plan in the near future, it would need a huge rework and there are other priorities at the moment.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Although I acknowledge it is useful, something like undo/redo is harder to implement than we actually think. So I would not expect it anytime soon as Jeremy mentioned.

• abnegative
    abnegative Member Posts: 59 Helper

@Nico_NI I'm curious what makes it hard to implement. The implementation would be two stacks of states, with each state defined by the complete set of parameters. Whenever a parameter change is committed, the new state is pushed onto stack A. The undo operation would then pop the current state off stack A and push it onto stack B. The redo operation would then pop the current state off stack B and push it onto stack A. You can always undo while stack A is not empty, and you can always redo while Stack B is not empty. Maintain a register that tracks whether the last operation was an undo or a parameter change; If a parameter change is committed directly after an undo operation, clear stack B.

I'm confident I can implement this feature in a day. Where does the difficulty arise in what I've described?

• aidenstunes

It's all about how they treat all of their products lately.

• abnegative

It looks like they did not expose the parameters at the plugin level (except for the macro knobs). I see the difficulty now. Interesting design decision.

• abnegative
    edited November 2022

Edit: deleted

• robotoad
    robotoad Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2022

If it was easy, I think they would have implemented it by this point.