plugin ID of Kontakt has changed?

Jimbo
Jimbo Member Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2022 in Kontakt

So the plugin ID of Kontakt has changed again? I had Kontakt 5 and the name of the dll was ,,Kontakt 5.dll,, After switching to Kontakt 6,the dll and vst3 was named only,,Kontakt.dll and Kontakt.vst3,, So all older projects made with Kontakt 5 showed up error that all instances of Kontakt could not be loaded or found.I had to rename the dll to,,Kontakt 5.dll,, and after that it worked.Then i started to use new projects with the vst3 of Kontakt 6. Now with Kontakt 7 the same.The vst3 is named,,Kontakt 7.vst3,, and all older projects made with Kontakt 6 will not load properly because of the ,,missing,, Kontakt plugin.I tried renaming again but this time it did not work.The name of the file itself is ,,Kontakt.vst3,, but it shows always up as ,,Kontakt 7,, in plugin browser.Damn this is such a ******.Why is it made like that?This is not good at all.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper

The name changes exactly so you can keep using the old plugin for old projects without breaking them. With the latest Kontakt, many instrument names have changed in the library too.

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Member Posts: 2 Member

Imagine you have Kontakt since version 4.Does that mean you have to keep all older versions for being able to open old projects?Then you end up in having 4 different versions of kontakt installed..well this is pretty weird.So why the easy way when you can get it that complicated..😂

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper

It would have been worse if Kontakt 7 replaced Kontakt 6, wrecking people's projects in the process. The different major releases have gone through a lot of under the hood changes, like which sound formats are supported.