Odd little Native Access problem (red exclamation mark)

Mikey 3000
Mikey 3000 Member Posts: 35 Member
edited September 2022 in Native Access

I have been using an old version of NA for ages, because I assumed it would auto-update when requited but it turns out there was an M1 compatible version 2 just waiting for me on the downloads page.

It took a little while to sort itself out & authorise everything but I think it's pretty much there now.

HOWEVER. In the prefs, it says the Application location is invalid. It certainly hasn't been invalid up to about half an hour ago. Everything still seems to work so it's just kind of annoying rather than a real problem.

I've tried restarting etc with no success.…anyone know how to fix it?

Best Answers

• victorp.sg
    victorp.sg Member Posts: 63 Helper
    Answer ✓

It's a known bug and has been reported before since several point updates. NA2 Application Location preference wants the destination folder to be world-writable even though it is not required--it will just work fine, just like in NA1. Hopefully the error notice flag will be gone in the next update or so.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod
    Answer ✓

@Mikey 3000 Previews of sounds are not available in Native Access, AFAIK, this is only possible in Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and now Kontakt 7.

Answers

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper

Did you actually browse and check that it's there? It's likely that NA doesn't have access yet. Either browse to that folder so the OS can ask for permission, or go into system preferences and set Full Disk Access for NA2 in the security settings. It needs access to a few different folders, so the full access method is best.

• Mikey 3000

Hi. Yes, Thanks for coming back to me. I did think of giving it Full Access. Didn't appear to make a difference.

• Mikey 3000

…and I have to say, subjectively the new Native Access is markedly inferior to the one I was using before. Downloads appear way slower and – unlike the previous one – ****** out entirely when the machine goes to sleep.

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper

Yep, it's very problematic. Don't you dare having a queue! Looks like you've found another bug, so it's best to contact support.

• victorp.sg
    Answer ✓

It's a known bug and has been reported before since several point updates. NA2 Application Location preference wants the destination folder to be world-writable even though it is not required--it will just work fine, just like in NA1. Hopefully the error notice flag will be gone in the next update or so.

• victorp.sg

Most probably it's the NTKDaemon which either cannot recover or take too long to wake up from a machine sleep which then confuses NA2 parent processes.

• Mikey 3000

Hey Jeremy, you're right! Nice one.

• Mikey 3000

…sorry to be a pest but this solution, which totally works, seems to have switched off NA's ability to preview sounds. Any idea how I get that back? It was cool!

• victorp.sg

It looks like you are changing the ownership of the replacement Application Location folder to the login user where NA2 is run from…am I correct?

• Mikey 3000

I guess…yeah!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod
    Answer ✓

@Mikey 3000 Previews of sounds are not available in Native Access, AFAIK, this is only possible in Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and now Kontakt 7.

• JakHay
    JakHay Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

FYI - I was able to make the error go away by setting permissions on the /Applications/Native Instruments folder to "Read & Write" for everyone.

• victorp.sg

It shouldn’t be necessary in the first place as all of the NI software installers are capable of writing into that folder with administrator rights. This was the norm for Native Access version 1.x.