Help with initial setup

ste20man
ste20man Member Posts: 34 Member
edited September 2022 in Komplete General

Hi.

Have ordered a Macbook Pro M1 64GB and am going to buy Komplete 14.

I use FL Studio as my DAW.

I am completely new to Mac's and am wondering if one of you guys might know the answer to a question I have.

FL is native on the M1 chip which is great as I have heard it runs really well on it. I guess my main question is, even though FL is now native, should I run FL in rosetta 2 mode as parts of NI's Komplete 14 are still NOT native?

Am I better running everything in Rosetta just soo all the plugins are in the same sandbox / Rosetta if you like?

Lastly, where is the best place going to be to buy Komplete 14?

I've found it for £503 but am not sure if I should buy it straight from NI?

If you can answer any of them questions or have any other tips and tricks that I might need starting out on a new OS I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for your time in advance, ste!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper
    Answer ✓

If Battery, Reaktor or any instrument based on the Reaktor engine (like Razor and Monark, I think) are part of your workflow, prepare to run in Rosetta mode until next year. The various compressor simulators are uncertain, since they only give a vague "Q4 2022" estimate. Everything seems to work for most people on the various M1 series. I'm waiting for the K14 unlock before I can test the latest versions of some plugins/apps though.

Where to buy? Well, starting with this release I've read that there's no technical reason to buy the boxed version. You'll just get a download code anyway. On the other hand, buying it from your friendly, local gear store is probably good too. Perhaps the box will at least contain a piece of microfibre cloth or some stickers? :P

Starting tips: Before you even install the DAW, launch all the NI apps. This is both because it's always been a thing (setting up configuration folders and whatnot), plus launching any x86-64 apps for the first time will prompt for the Rosetta 2 installation so that's done with. I've had trouble with universal binaries where I try to force Rosetta not actually launching and asking for the installation. Do it the safe way :)

Mac apps are app bundles, which are directories with special data to make them appear as single files you can drag around. This means you could copy FL Studio to a subfolder, toggle the "Open using Rosetta" flag on that copy and have two platforms at the ready.

For convenience, stick to VST3 (or 2 when not available) and skip the AAX/AU formats during installation of plugins. If you get user setups for controllers or whatever from these forums, they're generally for the VST version.

Avoid iLok like the plague for now. Horrible issues on M1 systems, according to some.

Answers

• Ronny Bangsund
    Answer ✓

If Battery, Reaktor or any instrument based on the Reaktor engine (like Razor and Monark, I think) are part of your workflow, prepare to run in Rosetta mode until next year. The various compressor simulators are uncertain, since they only give a vague "Q4 2022" estimate. Everything seems to work for most people on the various M1 series. I'm waiting for the K14 unlock before I can test the latest versions of some plugins/apps though.

Where to buy? Well, starting with this release I've read that there's no technical reason to buy the boxed version. You'll just get a download code anyway. On the other hand, buying it from your friendly, local gear store is probably good too. Perhaps the box will at least contain a piece of microfibre cloth or some stickers? :P

Starting tips: Before you even install the DAW, launch all the NI apps. This is both because it's always been a thing (setting up configuration folders and whatnot), plus launching any x86-64 apps for the first time will prompt for the Rosetta 2 installation so that's done with. I've had trouble with universal binaries where I try to force Rosetta not actually launching and asking for the installation. Do it the safe way :)

Mac apps are app bundles, which are directories with special data to make them appear as single files you can drag around. This means you could copy FL Studio to a subfolder, toggle the "Open using Rosetta" flag on that copy and have two platforms at the ready.

For convenience, stick to VST3 (or 2 when not available) and skip the AAX/AU formats during installation of plugins. If you get user setups for controllers or whatever from these forums, they're generally for the VST version.

Avoid iLok like the plague for now. Horrible issues on M1 systems, according to some.

• ste20man

Hi Ronny.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, hope you are well!!!

I am preparing to run in Rosseta 2 for now as I have found the following:

Here it says that ABSYNTH 5 and FM8 are the only components that are not working with Rosetta as of now.

These two, as well as other components including MASSIVE for example currently work well with Rosetta and all will be NATIVE in the last quarter of 2022 (the only exceptions being REAKTOR 6 and BATTERY 4 which will be native in 2023).

Can I just ask because I just want get the simplist A B C the procedure for installing.

What you said makes sense, I think in that I should install FL Studio last.

Can I ask.

When I download Komplete 14 should I click the installer installing things like Guitar Rig 6 and Kontakt 7?

(This would follow your advice of establishing the Komplete folders before I download and install FL Studio?).

Once 14 is installed can I then install FL?

I'm going to buy it today I think, thanx for your advice so far!!! Appreciate it :O)

• Ronny Bangsund

NOTE: Absynth has been discontinued. FM8 is getting an update.

You can install everything, including FL Studio, at the same time, just remember to run the NI stuff's standalone apps before including them as plugins in the DAW. I recommend just installing the apps first, and worry about the libraries after seeing that the apps work. Download one library at a time with another in the queue, as the new Native Access app has a tendency to fall over easily.

• ste20man

Thnx, ok.

Ok, Donny.

I promise that this will be my last question as I am about to buy now.

When I buy Komplete 14 from NI what will be downloaded?

Will it just be Native Access or are there other components? Do you know? I can't find out what the actual download will include. The standalone apps as well. What are they?

Following on from that do I run the standalone apps and then later run and install FL?

I'm sure that they must have a setup file when you buy it but it would be good to get as much as a grip from people like yourself.

Thanks for all you have done so far.

All the best mate, ste.

• Ronny Bangsund

Who's Donny?

This is the list of everything included:

You download Native Access to download the Komplete products. You pick what will be downloaded when.

• ste20man

Sorry Ronny.

Little writing on the name and I mixed the R with a D.

Thnx for everything you have done.

Appreciate it mate.

ste.