Kontakt Library - trying to resolve missing content

Martin Schmid
Martin Schmid Member Posts: 66 Member
edited September 2022 in Kontakt

I ran into the issue detailed here: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8520150#p8520150

I'm trying to understand.

One Kontakt specific issue I've isolated is that the help here says:

Browse for Files: This option will ask you to locate each missing file manually, one at a time, via a file selection dialog. During this process, the name of the currently searched file will be displayed in the title bar of the selection dialog window. (bold/italic my emphasis)

Note, however, in the screenshot, no such display is shown!?

Also, note that the Missing Content file indicates, e.g., "<<<Shreddage3_Stratus_0.nkx>>>", however, in the Mac search window, I see no way to open/select that container.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Well, ExFAt drives can cause this type of issues (and also performance issues). It also happened in the past that for some users it worked before, and then stopped to work. Reformatting the drive to APFS usually fixes it.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

@Martin Schmid you are supposed to select the folder where the library's samples are stored, not the sample files. Any reason for these <<< signs ? Can you post a screenshot with the full path where the library is installed ?

• Martin Schmid

Hi @Jeremy_NI

I wish it were straight forward to respond to your request to "post a screenshot with the full path where the library is installed".. I'm not sure where you expect me to grab this screenshot. nothing the NI UI that I am aware of seems to make this an easily achievable task.. but I've done my best to connect the dots:

• Jeremy_NI

@Martin Schmid What is the format of that KINGSTON drive?

• Martin Schmid

Good question. I believe exFAT as it was not formatted after I received. I’m guessing you’re going to indicate the it needs to be APFS to be able to browse?

i guess that’s understandable.. however, my underlying issue is why did my Ableton project, instrument rack and the NKI lose their pathing? (I assume the pathing in the nki is also somehow embedded in the Ableton files). Is that a known issue of not using APFS? It’s been fine for a few weeks.. then all of a sudden “broke”… so just looking to understand.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Well, ExFAt drives can cause this type of issues (and also performance issues). It also happened in the past that for some users it worked before, and then stopped to work. Reformatting the drive to APFS usually fixes it.

• Martin Schmid

Thx.. I’ll give that a shot and hope for the best moving forward!

• Jeremy_NI

Sure thing, keep me posted!

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper

APFS is the way to go for SSDs when you're using them constantly on macOS, rather than just schlepping files back and forth between different operating systems. Better integrity, optimised for SSDs, and the difference in how permissions are stored on exFAT won't be an issue.

• Jeremy_NI

@Martin Schmid Any luck with the APFS reformat ?

• Martin Schmid

@Jeremy_NI - the reformat worked fine… but recently have been having issues again. i suspect it is a problem with the cable to the external ssd, as sometimes the drive seems to ‘disappear’ even though the little light on the drive is still on. disconnecting/reconnecting resolves it.. but it always makes my heart skip a beat.