Maschine+ - Issue with audio from external synths

Relgado
Relgado Member Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hey All,

Having a bit of trouble getting audio from my external synths to play out of my Maschine+

I’m able to trigger them from Maschine+ and I can hear any synth when my headphones are plugged directly into it, but no audio comes out or is showing, if I press the Sample button for example.

Here are photos of a configuration, Maschine+ is recognizing the synth (Roland SH01a) but is not recognizing or playing any sound. I've already paid someone $80 to help and he couldn't solve it. Hoping someone here has some advice!

Best Answer

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

For anyone wondering about this.

The Inputs for 1L and 1R needed to be selected by scrolling with the corresponding knob when you are using the internal sound card.

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022

Please don't go around paying Randies online $80 to help you out, you'll end up getting scammed 😱 ...

AFAIK that's a Stereo Out from the Synth and you're using a single stereo cable into a mono Input? That's probably the issue. Get a propper 2 x 1/4" inch Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Stereo-Y-Splitter-Cable-Breakout/dp/B07K59CQ3R

Report back.

• Relgado
    edited January 2022

Thanks for your advice!

I paid someone who does 1:1 training and has a decent YouTube channel to help out. Been watching his stuff for a bit so it didn't seem so risky, but I do see your point.

What's throwing me off are two thing:

1. The synth with that cable works fine when I hook it into my Focusrite Scarlett for use in Ableton live - but I will try the cables you recommended with the Maschine+
    2. I run into the same issue with my Roland MC101 and I'm using nicer Roland audio cables for those

The fact that I run into the same issue for two different external pieces of gear has me concerned. I also have an ongoing ticket with NI HelpDesk but haven't gotten anywhere with that either. Fingers crossed I get to a solution before I give up and sell it for an MPC one.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Maybe better to start with MC 101. Its cable should be OK.

I cannot help you with M+ setup, I do not have it. But I remember having problems to setup Maschine 2 SW to record things. I was not able to do it without web search how to do it.

So, unless there is some failure in audio interface input, or cable, you might do something wrongly....

Also you might try to use Focusrite interface (if it works with M+) to get the sound to M+.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@Relgado erote

I’m able to trigger them from Maschine+ and I can hear any synth when my headphones are plugged directly into it, but no audio comes out or is showing, if I press the Sample button for example.

Which input did you choose on the Sample page? Make sure you select the inputs and not internal sampling (which is used to resample Pads).

BTW, I know that recording synths which are controlled by M+ is possible. I’ve done it with my Virus TI.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru
    edited January 2022

Care needs to be used when using TRS cables with Maschine+. Since Maschine+ has balanced line inputs (which also accept unbalanced signals when a TS cable is inserted), if you feed them a TRS cable, it expects to see a balanced line signal. Balanced signals use polarity inversion for reducing unwanted noise from the cable line.

You know what other connector uses TRS cables but isn't balanced? Stereo outputs, such as headphone outputs. So if you connect a TRS-TRS cable from a headphone out into an input expecting to see a balanced signal, partial or complete phase cancellation of the signal results.

When in doubt, always use TS cables for connecting into M+ inputs. The appropriate way to connect from a headphone out into TRS inputs is indeed a Y cable with a TRS plug on the headphone out side and two TS cables on the M+ line input side. Such cables are also known as insert cables.

• Relgado

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate your time! I've explored these suggestions: Starting with the MC101 and making sure I'm using TS cables to connect into the M+ inputs and, making sure the MC101 device is selected when in Sample Mode. Sadly none of that has worked.

I'm going to order the y-cable @D-One recommended for the SH01a and see if that results in any progress.

Hoping to resolve this soon as patience is wearing very thin. Thank you again everyone!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

What about connecting the source you are sure it gives signal. And strong signal. CD/mp3 player....... Just to be 100% sure strong audio signal goes into M+.

And check the M+ audio setup.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022

Do you have synths with keys? I would start with just debugging the Audio issues specifically and eliminate any MIDI communication to keep it simple to pinpoint where the problem is. The more you got going on the harder it is to find the source of the problem.

This is gonna sound super silly but people have had this issue before simply because they were using the input gain in reverse, might be worth checking because twisting the tiny knob from the front goes against our muscle memory, direction wise.

I'd advise you to test everything up ASAP, because if you're unlucky enough to have a defective unit, replacing it might take a while, not sure.

• Relgado

Hello All - NI Support has asked me for videos of all the settings I have when hooking up synths into Maschine+ I sent two videos walking through every setting and, thanks to your advice, included details about the different cables I used going into / out of Maschine+. I appreciate your time and patience in answering my questions.

Fingers-crossed NI can get me to the finish line!

• Relgado

Hey All - After a few back-and-forth video walk-throughs of my settings and confirming I'm using the correct cables going into Maschine+ (thanks for calling that out!) the issue is now resolved. It turns out there was an incorrect setting with how the internal audio routing was set.

Everything is running as expected and now the real fun begins.

Thank you again everyone, couldn't have done it without you!

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

For anyone wondering about this.

The Inputs for 1L and 1R needed to be selected by scrolling with the corresponding knob when you are using the internal sound card.