How to automate vibrato-knob individually when multitimbral instruments are loaded in KK & K?

Jiwisto
Jiwisto Member Posts: 9 Member

Hi folks,

Gear used in the following question:

1. Cubase 11
  2. Komplete Kontrol MK88 keyboard
  3. Kontakt 6, Ver: 6.7.1 R0 VST 2
  4. Komplete Kontrol, Ver: 2.7.2 R2 / VST 3

Please see the enclosed images for more info.

The question:

How do I use "Host Automation/Midi Automation" in Cubase 11, with NI´s Kontakt loaded with 3 several different instrument (multitimbral) in one single instance of Kontakt (and Kontakt loaded inside Komplete Kontrol)?

I always load Kontakt inside Komplete Kontrol, in order to be able to get the MK88 key-light to work and indicate articulations key-switches on the MK88 keyboard.

I want to be able to adjust the vibrato-knob in the articulation "Legato Vib Ctrl" for the instrument Cello, violas and violins in the instrument "Symphony Series - String Ensemble", and I want to be able to control the vibrato-knob individually for all 3 instrument loaded from the instrument "Symphony Series - String Ensemble".

I guess I should be able to use the Komplete Kontrol Keyboard MK88 since the keyboard already has different knobs for this function connected to Kontakt in Cubase, but those knobs only control the first loaded instrument inside Kontakt, in my case the Cello-instrument (also selected in the instrument navigator in Kontakt) and the vibrato-knob in the articulation "Legato Vib Ctrl" for cello, also selected on midi-track 01 in Cubase.

If I select midi-track 02 in Cubase, and instrument violas in the instrument navigator in Kontakt, and turning the same vibrato knob on my MK88 keyboard, then the vibrato still changes for the cello - and not for the selected violin?

I guess I can use eighter host or midi automation in Cubase to control the vibrato-knob in Kontakt, and I would prefer to be able to control the vibrato curve from the Key-editor...as I explain in the enclosed image "key-edtor.png" using the as I describe in the invented control field CC 15 in the picture.

Enclosed images on the actual setup:

Cubase 11 and the 3 midi-tracks loaded and all connected using midichannels 1,2 & 3 to Kontakt String Ensemble.

NI´s Kontakt loaded with 3 several different instrument (multitimbral), in one single instance of Kontakt (and Kontakt loaded inside Komplete Kontrol).

How I would prefer to be able to control the vibrato-knob curve from the Key-editor (just used CC 15 as an example CC in the image).

Setup data...

Setup data...

Setup data...

Setup data...

This makes me crazy, I have spent to days in order to try to solve this, without any good solution 😪

Your help will be very appriciated, thanx in advance ☺️

Best Answers

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro
    Answer ✓

You likely don't want to hear this, but in my experience you simply cannot hot swap knob/smart controls in a Kontakt multi. It will only ever control the first instance (midi 1) and I too have explored every option I could think of. Only solution I know of is separate instances and this is how KK was designed.

• Jiwisto
    Answer ✓

Interesting tip, I will fiddle around with this tip regarding abandon the multis...and try to investigate how it might suit my needs. Thanx for your time fellow musicians 🤗

Answers

• MyStudioOne
    Answer ✓

You likely don't want to hear this, but in my experience you simply cannot hot swap knob/smart controls in a Kontakt multi. It will only ever control the first instance (midi 1) and I too have explored every option I could think of. Only solution I know of is separate instances and this is how KK was designed.

• Jiwisto
    edited September 2022

You where right, I did not want to hear that 😪

So I need to load up Kontakt 3 times, inside 3 individual instances of Komplete Kontrol, to be able to use my 3 instruments cello, violas and violins? In other words, not using kontakt in mutlitimbral mode then?

Sounds like a terrible waste of resouces with that many instances av KK & K in order to solve this 😫

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

Yup. @MyStudioOne is correct.

I have a DAW scoring template with 129 instances of KK loading individual instruments and it works fine. KK actually has a very tiny footprint compared to the Kontakt instances, and has the added benefit of when I move from track to track, the smart controls all follow and focus on the selection.

But YMMV.

• MyStudioOne

I would only add that there are a lot of YouTube vids out there which show that generally speaking, the amount of resources used by both methods (many single instances verses a handful of multi's is really not that different resource wise. And you most certainly will be more happy with the overall integration of your KK keyboard if you avoid using multi's altogether. That I can guarantee.

• Jiwisto
    Answer ✓

Interesting tip, I will fiddle around with this tip regarding abandon the multis...and try to investigate how it might suit my needs. Thanx for your time fellow musicians 🤗