Whats the best, BASIC - PC/Maschine mk1/Maschine 2 software combo

Cathmart
Cathmart Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

I've just bought a Maschine mk1, with Maschine 2, and am successfully using it on a Mac running Catalina, BUT...it is a bit buggy.

I'm thinking I might buy an old PC laptop to use as my Maschine computer, but what would be the best, but still basic setup?

I think there is a problem with Windows after 8 with the mk1? is that right?

I don t want to swap a buggy MAC setup for a buggy PC setup.

so...RAM? CPU? BASIC?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,241 Expert
    Answer ✓

Maschine MK1 runs perfectly on Windows 10. You do not need to go back in earlier versions!

RAM: as much as you like, but minimum should be 8Gb

CPU: Best is to stay on Intel i5 or i7 or similar technology, assuming that by "old laptop" you mean something near to 2015. My advice is DO NOT go earlier than 2015!

Answers

• Sunborn
    Answer ✓

Maschine MK1 runs perfectly on Windows 10. You do not need to go back in earlier versions!

RAM: as much as you like, but minimum should be 8Gb

CPU: Best is to stay on Intel i5 or i7 or similar technology, assuming that by "old laptop" you mean something near to 2015. My advice is DO NOT go earlier than 2015!

• Cathmart
    Cathmart Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

WOW.. great clear answer, thank you.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Stating i7/i5 may be misleading. Better is to speak about number of cores. There were i7 with just 2 cores!!!!

Also IMHO, 2015 model notebook may be rather old and not suffitient, if not 4 core i7... And even that may be too weak.

I have 10th generation i5 tablet/ultrathin PC (4C/8T) and it is able to do light projects in Maschine 2. I would not recomend to go for anything worse.

• Sunborn
    edited September 2022

All desktop Core i7 CPUs are 4 core CPUs and on mobile most Core i7 CPUs are 4 core CPUs (while others are 2 core CPUs, yes).

All "M" and "U" model Core i7 CPUs are 2 core CPUs while MQ, HQ and MX versions are 4 core CPUs.

However 99% of any CPU made in 2015 or later is 4 core. That's why i suggested to not go earlier than 2015, but obviously you didn't pay attention. So, it was more than obvious and not misleading at all. After all, everyone knows that 4 cores or higher is a must for audio!

Also, be aware that they guy spoke about old PC laptop and basic setup. 😉

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

But notebook from 2015, does not have to have CPU from 2015, but easily year, two older.

And it is not true, that everyone knows that 4 cores is minimal requirement for audio. The first notebook I have bought for audio few years ago, was older i7. Unfortunately 2 cores. Not suitable even for light audio tasks... And I am in IT for 30+ years....

Old PC laptop may also mean three, four years old, not seven.

And more recent i7 have up to 8 big cores.... Thanks to AMD.

------------

Simply, it is better to speak about number of cores and CPU clock, than genericly i5/i7. At least IMHO.