Download Error: Need To Free Space On C

mdiemer
mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member

I am trying to download Cinesamples Percussion. It is a large file, 92.66 GB. To do this, I restored an old Windows 7 image on a 500 GB drive, figuring this should be plenty of space. When the download got to around 37%, it gave me an error, saying I needed to free 25 GB. I did so, and proceeded with the download. This time it got to 63%, and told me I needed to free 180 GB of space! I have no idea how to do this, without harming the download. I can't see anywhere to cut this much space.

What is going on here? I can't download a 92 GB file on a 500 GB drive, with mostly free space? My download speeds are very slow, and I don't want to lose the 63% I now have. What can I do?

Best Answer

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

The problem is that Windows, by default, uses its system drive ("C:") to store temporary data. Yet this isn't only temporary downloaded data, but pretty much everything else as well. So if there's an archive to unpack... that tempoary data is going to C as well.

The best you can do here is check your Native Access preferences and change the download location to somewhere else if possible:

Hope this can help!

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

The problem is that Windows, by default, uses its system drive ("C:") to store temporary data. Yet this isn't only temporary downloaded data, but pretty much everything else as well. So if there's an archive to unpack... that tempoary data is going to C as well.

The best you can do here is check your Native Access preferences and change the download location to somewhere else if possible:

Hope this can help!

• mdiemer

Thanks, but if I do this, won't I lose what I have already downloaded? Which is at least 66 GB? With my slow download speeds (I only have DSL, 10 Mbs, and I usually don't even get that due to my ISP playing games), I hate to have to start over. We're talking days here, not hours. I was hoping to have this done by Sunday. If I start over, I'm looking at Wednesday most likely.

• mdiemer

I had to give up. I should have known better to trust Windows for a download. I am downloading it now on Linux, and I chose an external drive as the download location. The Linux drive, another 500 GB HDD, has only LXLE on it, a light Linux distro. It only takes up 17 GB of space. however, because of window's inane downloading behavior, I still have to use the external drive, because to install Native Access, I have to use Wine, which creates a virtual Windows C drive. So, the same nonsense may occur again, even on Linux. Oh well, hurry up and wait. Thanks again, Microslop.

• mdiemer

I did not mark this as solved, somebody else must have. It is not solved or answered. However, I am giving up, because it appears impossible for me to download a file of this size (92 GB). So, I bought the library, but I can't use it. Pretty sad. I may never again buy a product that uses Kontakt, unless it is small enough that I know I can download it. The system is set up to benfit professionals. If you're a hobbyist, and have basic internet service, too bad, you can't have the same toys the pros have. Again, sad.