Routing Maschine Plugin into Ableton

DjSergio
DjSergio Member Posts: 3 Member
edited September 2022 in Maschine

Hello NI community

I have made some tracks on my MK3 and trying to get them into ableton.

I have routed them to my understanding but in Ableton but rather than link up to Ext 2, Ext 3 etc. it says in Ableton 3/4Maschine, 5/6 Maschine etc and I dont know why.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the community!

Routing channels out of Maschine is actually not that hard, but as you noticed: different programs use different naming schemes. Maschine will identify the host as "EXT" (for 'external'), but Live will name the actual incoming (stereo) channels.

As you probably saw Maschine has 16 output channels, well, that's what you're seeing above.

So first things first: you can route audio per sound ("pad") or per group. By default sounds send their output to the group which in its turn sends it to the master output, that's how it gets into Live.

You mention tracks but Maschine doesn't really know that concept, patterns at best. It's not my intent to nitpick on details here, but the thing is: using the right descriptions will make it easier for us to understand what you're tying to do.

So, I decided to load in Maschines standard 808 kit (= personal favorite) and I added the patterns as well:

Let's export the kick & snare separately into Live.

So... something to know: by default the Master sends its output to Ext1, so that's the channel we'll want to avoid:

Here I loaded in the previously mentioned 808 kit + patterns, I selected the kick and opened the routing settings (as seen above). I clicked the Dest. and this menu shows up. As mentioned earlier: by default things go into the group, and from there into the master.

Now we'll re-route this and select Ext. 2. And I'm going to sent the snare 808 into Ext. 3.

Getting this into Live is merely requires the selection of the right input channel:

Now, sure, I'm using Windows while you're using Apple, fair enough. But as far as I can tell the main difference here is that you work with stereo channels whereas I deal with mono. But that's something that gets determined by the plugin; that will define the output channels.

So as far as I can tell... the only thing you need to do is pick the right channel.

Hope this can give you some ideas, despite the different OS.

• ShelLuser
    Answer ✓

@DjSergio

When I then go back into Ableton that is when I am coming into trouble - I click to find Ext.2 for example but it has Ext3/4 and 5/6 instead as I have in the picture above.

Yeah, you should be able to ignore that and use the channel anyway. So for EXT2 in Maschine you should be able to use 3/4. The main difference being that Live somehow expects stereo channels whereas Maschine exports mono-ish channels.

Also: once you set up this routing scheme in Live you may want to switch the track's monitoring to "On", that way it will always pick up incoming audio and process it immediataly.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod
    Answer ✓

Answers

• ShelLuser
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the community!

Routing channels out of Maschine is actually not that hard, but as you noticed: different programs use different naming schemes. Maschine will identify the host as "EXT" (for 'external'), but Live will name the actual incoming (stereo) channels.

As you probably saw Maschine has 16 output channels, well, that's what you're seeing above.

So first things first: you can route audio per sound ("pad") or per group. By default sounds send their output to the group which in its turn sends it to the master output, that's how it gets into Live.

You mention tracks but Maschine doesn't really know that concept, patterns at best. It's not my intent to nitpick on details here, but the thing is: using the right descriptions will make it easier for us to understand what you're tying to do.

So, I decided to load in Maschines standard 808 kit (= personal favorite) and I added the patterns as well:

Let's export the kick & snare separately into Live.

So... something to know: by default the Master sends its output to Ext1, so that's the channel we'll want to avoid:

Here I loaded in the previously mentioned 808 kit + patterns, I selected the kick and opened the routing settings (as seen above). I clicked the Dest. and this menu shows up. As mentioned earlier: by default things go into the group, and from there into the master.

Now we'll re-route this and select Ext. 2. And I'm going to sent the snare 808 into Ext. 3.

Getting this into Live is merely requires the selection of the right input channel:

Now, sure, I'm using Windows while you're using Apple, fair enough. But as far as I can tell the main difference here is that you work with stereo channels whereas I deal with mono. But that's something that gets determined by the plugin; that will define the output channels.

So as far as I can tell... the only thing you need to do is pick the right channel.

Hope this can give you some ideas, despite the different OS.

• Raven586
    Raven586 Member Posts: 27 Member

Although I already knew how to route things in Ableton. I just wanted to stop by and say great explanation on how to route things in Ableton. This is what forums are made for. Nice job ShelLuser.

• DjSergio

Thank you for your answer and yes note taken about being specific with terms.

I am up the the part as you have explained. I have set each sound to a different Ext slot.

When I then go back into Ableton that is when I am coming into trouble - I click to find Ext.2 for example but it has Ext3/4 and 5/6 instead as I have in the picture above. I have +Patters and +Routing turned on. I'm not sure if it's something in my settings. Thanks again.

• ShelLuser
    Answer ✓

@DjSergio

When I then go back into Ableton that is when I am coming into trouble - I click to find Ext.2 for example but it has Ext3/4 and 5/6 instead as I have in the picture above.

Yeah, you should be able to ignore that and use the channel anyway. So for EXT2 in Maschine you should be able to use 3/4. The main difference being that Live somehow expects stereo channels whereas Maschine exports mono-ish channels.

Also: once you set up this routing scheme in Live you may want to switch the track's monitoring to "On", that way it will always pick up incoming audio and process it immediataly.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod
    Answer ✓
  • DjSergio

Thankyou for your fantastic help.