One shot recording in midi mode

mael15
mael15 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I am using MK3 only in midi mode with Reaper and have the problem that cymbals are muted when I lift the finger off the pad. And this stays the same when I change the midi rectangle symbol after recording. So two questions:

a) can I change the ringing length of the cymbol after recording somehow?

b) for future recordings, can I set it to ignore the moment I lift the finger off the pad? I think it is called "one-shot"? I have found that there is a setting in the maschine plugin called "envelope", but I dont use the plugin, just midi mode.

Best Answer

• mael15
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy,

I use Steven Slate Drums 5. In the time after posting the question, I found out that the mk3´s default is to produce "poly aftertouch" events. I disabled them in the controller editor like this:

and the problem for new recordings is solved. Now I only get one-shot events that let all drum elements and especially cymbals ring as long as they naturally do.

Now I have to find a way to get rid of all these "poly aftertouch" events in my existing recordings, but I guess that is not a NI problem, more one for Reaper.

EDIT: it is easy in the Reaper midi editor to filter all "poly aftertouch" events and delete them. After that, all drum elements ring as long as the sample lasts. :)

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,667 mod

Hey @mael15 If you are using the MK3 in MIDI mode what instrument with a cymbal are you playing ?

• mael15
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy,

I use Steven Slate Drums 5. In the time after posting the question, I found out that the mk3´s default is to produce "poly aftertouch" events. I disabled them in the controller editor like this:

and the problem for new recordings is solved. Now I only get one-shot events that let all drum elements and especially cymbals ring as long as they naturally do.

Now I have to find a way to get rid of all these "poly aftertouch" events in my existing recordings, but I guess that is not a NI problem, more one for Reaper.

EDIT: it is easy in the Reaper midi editor to filter all "poly aftertouch" events and delete them. After that, all drum elements ring as long as the sample lasts. :)