Maschine 2 as VST in Ableton 11 - send midi from sound to external instrument

Coflo
Coflo Member Posts: 14 Member

I have Maschine Plus, which I am using as a controller inside Ableton 11 (loaded as a VST). My workflow right now is making use of Maschine 2 as a live instrument, I record midi/create patterns etc. on pre-determined kits etc.. I route all the audio into various channels in ableton so I can do some mixing and effected from ableton.

It is a very hyrbid approach which I really enjoy. I am wanting to take some of the "sounds" in maschine 2 and route their midi notes to an external midi channel in ableton. I have watched about a dozen tutorials on youtube read every forum post I could find and it seems like its just not possible. It seems like such a major miss. I am really hoping I am just screwing something up, but it seems like the Maschine Plus does not actually send midi data to ableton unless the Maschine Plus is in "midi controller" mode. Im baffled as obviously when its loaded as a VST its communicating with the hardware via midi.

Is there no solution?

I know someone is going to say, "why not just use a channel in ableton for your midi to the external midi device". This is because my workflow makes use of all the nice organization/colors and pattern flexibility on the fly that I get with Maschine. Its brilliant...thats why I want to do it in Maschine :)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Coflo
    Answer ✓

I figured it out!

The issue was I was loading an AU version of maschine 2 instead of the VST. Went through an hour of troubleshooting why the VST version wasn't showing up in ableton, but finally figured that out. Scowering forums etc.. etc..

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello,

maschine VST can definitely send midi out to ableton, so i guess it's just a routing issue. But to be sure I will try it and report back. If not someone else is faster. Ableton is not my DAW i just have live lite but for that purpose it's enough.

• Coflo
    Answer ✓

I figured it out!

The issue was I was loading an AU version of maschine 2 instead of the VST. Went through an hour of troubleshooting why the VST version wasn't showing up in ableton, but finally figured that out. Scowering forums etc.. etc..

• g55boy
    g55boy Member Posts: 10 Member

Hi. I'm experiencing a similar issue although with Ableton 10 and Maschine+. With Maschine2 operating as a VST3 within Ableton I can get midi from Ableton into the Maschine2, but I cannot get midi (either from M+ or programmed into Maschine2) into Ableton so I can control an external synth. I'm not seeing any of the midi indicator lights coming on Ableton so I suspect it is some routing issues. I'm selecting Host in Maschine2 VST.

Any ideas?

• 2A2E
    2A2E Member Posts: 30 Member

Older topic but still: It seems you can only use one MIDI track? I am trying to run several MIDI tracks from MASCHINE in Ableton, but when I select the Maschine track as input each MIDI track plays back whatever Maschine is sending... You cannot select the INPUT channel I guess?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Nah, you can an use 16, just make sure the DAW MIDI Track is sending to the right channel and the PAD in Maschine is also set to only receive MIDI from that channel.

• 2A2E
    2A2E Member Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2023

Thanks, but I actually want this the other way around... Sending FROM Maschine e.g. track 1 set to MIDI Channel 1 and receiving on DAW Channel 1. But I cannot select the MIDI In Channel in Ableton.

My idea was that, because Maschine only has 8 inputs, I could use Maschine to play my external synths as well as plugins inside Ableton which is hooked up to a 24ch audio interface.

Edit: Found that in the Ableton Online Manual if anyone ever wonders...

Note: Live merges all MIDI channels to one channel when being routed internally from track to track. It is therefore not possible to send MIDI to separate tracks via separate MIDI channels.

Maybe it changes with Live 12... I doubt it though.

• emavoow
    emavoow Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

The root cause was that I mistakenly loaded the AU version of Maschine 2 instead of the VST version. I spent about an hour troubleshooting why the VST version wasn't appearing in Ableton, but I eventually identified the issue after searching through forums and other resources.

• BigG
    BigG Member Posts: 7 Member

My VST/VST2 option has disappeared and I now cannot load any of my Komplete Kontrol stored midi sounds I’d spend months and years on in my existing Ableton projects. Help?

I use a NI miso keyboard (S49 MK2) with my M1 Max MacBook Pro

Ever since I updated to the new Native Access I have these issues.with Komplete Kontrol.

I reverted back to the older Native Access version but still won’t load my pre stored Komplete Kontrol midi sounds in Ableton on my existing projects and neither does it work for new Ableton projects.

I’ve spent hours and hours taking advice and viewing workarounds but nothing is working?

Help??….