can komplete audio 6 support multiple audio apps at the same time?

hagrid
hagrid Member Posts: 13 Member

i am trying to use channels 1&2 (as a stereo pair) to connect to one audio app (sonobus or jamulus) and channels 3&4 (as a stereo pair) to connect to another audio app (zoom) but, although the channels are separately assignable to the 2 apps, it does not seem to work: is there a way of doing this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

i guess we talking about linux here (using MX linux myself on old computers), i found this, maybe it helps https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-enable-multiple-simultaneous-audio-outputs-on-pulseaudio-in-linux

• hagrid

sorry if my question was not clear: i am talking about a komplete audio 6 interface connected to a PC running windows 10 with multiple audio applications...

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 994 Guru

After looking up the function of those apps, I assume that you're a musician wanting to jam remotely with friends (SonoBus/Jamulus) so you're feeding an external audio source (mic, keys etc) into the KA6 and wish to make a local recording of just your playing, yes?

Do SonoBus or Jamulus not have recording of the input signal? Can you not take a hardware feed directly from the output jacks of the KA6 to a recording device?

• Uwe303
    edited September 2022

Then I guess you use asio with sonobus, have you tried different sample rates with the asio driver? Have you tried waspi shared with zoom?

• Uwe303

Sorry but i don't really get it, so 1-2 from sonobus goes to a speaker? And 3-4 from zoom goes to a headphone? A bit more info could help. Voice meter banana could be also a solution for you, it's not easy to setup sometimes, but once you have it it works.

• hagrid

i perform synchronously with a fellow musician via sonobus and relay the composite performance to an open mic on zoom: other (solo) oerformers on Zoom are relayed back to my collaborator via sonobus: i do all routing & mixing externally via an analogue mixer so physical connections are not an issue: the problem is that my Komplete audio 6 doesn't seem to like sharing channels (1/2 & 3/4) between Sonobus & Zoom (I previously used another interface which appears to have developed a fault): i have also tried routing the interface channels to/from Sonobus & Zoom via Voicemeeter (Potato) but interface input channels (though selectable) are not accepted! any clues as to what is wrong?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

What about running Zoom on other computer/telephone? I used to use Traktor and Zoom to organize dancing over internet during COVID times, and Zoom and Traktor did not work well together on one computer...

So I used one for Zoom and another for Traktor. And two audiointerfaces in between...

Maybe it did not work satisfactory on single PC because the audio interface (and so drivers) was by NI (Traktor Kontrol S5). Seldomly it did work, but in most cases not.

• Uwe303

I could try to reproduce, but i own an other interface, so it may work on my machine and not on yours with similar settings. @Kubrak 's idea is good.

• Uwe303
    edited September 2022

So for my understanding, in sonobus you have two mixes, one with just you and your friend, that you ant to send via zoom. And another total mix you want to hear? If so, have you tried to use a cable from out 1-2 into input 3-4 and use 3-4 in zoom as input? Cause if you route sonobus to out 1-2 or 3-4 that are just the physical outputs, not some virtual audio cables from one app to another.

• hagrid

many thanks for your suggestions: i understand that i could run zoom & sonobus on separate PCs (and thus separate interfaces) though i would still have to route the audio between the 2 apps externally.

i don't think that the external routing is the issue as the PC cannot sense what audio paths are connected to the interfaces: i have considered doing the routing & mixing virtually within the PC but i couldn't figure out how to route the virtual I/O using either Voicemeeter nor Reaper!

it seems that the Audio 6 driver does not support assignment of channels to multiple audio apps which is a significant (& unpublicised) limitation: i was hoping that someone might either report that i am wrong or otherwise confirm that my suspicion is correct: sadly, i have not been able to get a clear answer from NI support...

• Uwe303

I tried with voice meter banana and it worked, you just use the banana/ potato asio for sonobus, and the aux asio or aux mme for zoom. Only problem for me was crackling noise, and i did not investigated that, cause i just wanted to try if something like that is possible to route. I of course used different programs but the principal is the same.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

If you go into your windows sound settings does the interface show separate routable outputs like, for example on my OctaCapture:

If not then you will prob not be able to rout different apps to different outputs.

You should be able to set which apps go to which outputs in the App vol preferences if you have multiple outputs listed

• hagrid

thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions but i am still struggling!

the interface channels are selectable but turn red as soon as they are selected as inputs to voicemeeter (but outputs are OK!)...

i don't understand what the 'app volume and device preferences' screen is for but neither sonobus nor voicemeeter appear in the app list (but zoom does!)...

i am now wondering whether the problem is inconsistent bit-rates but i don't know how/where to check this?

• Uwe303

We could try to check via remote, if you want to. The interface ins and outputs all go via voice meter potato, and in the apps you only use voice meter as device, in and out.

• hagrid

not sure what you mean by 'check via remote'? i still cannot get my KA6 to work with the 2 audio apps (Sonobus & Zoom) either via Voicemeeter (can't select KA/6 inputs) nor directly (no audio): unless someone can suggest what is causing either (or both) issues, it looks as though i am going to have to use 2 PCs (1 for each app) with separate interfaces...