Switching back and forth with 2 different external hard drives

colbykeyz
colbykeyz Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi im going to be switching back and forth between my iMac and macbook working on the same Logic Pro projects that I uploaded to Dropbox. Im using two separate SSDs on each computer that each have all my own drum samples. All my projects were originally started on my iMac, all with custom Battery 4 patches that I save through Logic with my samples on SSD #1. When I try to open a project on my macbook all my Battery patches cannot be located obviously because im now using SSD #2 even though I copied all my samples over. How can I solve this?

Comments

• victorp.sg
    victorp.sg Member Posts: 63 Helper

Just to confirm that your iMac and MacBook have one external SSD each connected. If they are, have you tried giving the same volume name to both external SSD?

(I hope you have already reformatted both SSD as APFS or Mac OS Extended Journaled format when you first bought your SSDs before storing data on them.)

• colbykeyz

So I tried naming them the same but my original path had an emoji Drums🥁 but when battery searches for it replaces that emoji with vertical rectangle thing I dont know how to type

• victorp.sg
    edited September 2022

Did you rename the folder where you store your own samples? If you did, you shouldn’t because Battery needs the exact pathname starting from “/Volumes” to locate the sample to load. As such, you must replicate the exact folder-subfolder name and structure where your samples are stored in SSD #1 to SSD #2, including the SSD volume name.

Is there a reason you cannot use SSD #1 on your MacBook? If you can, then use SSD #2 as a clone backup of SSD #1.

By the way, how did you rename SSD #2 as the same name as SSD #1? Did you eject SSD #1, insert SSD #2 and rename it with same exact name as SSD #1, eject SSD #2, and reinsert SSD #1.

For your information and as an example, if SSD #1 and #2 have the exact volume name “My HD”, then while #1 is inserted into your iMac and you insert #2, your iMac will show #2 as “My HD 1”. This is normal because logical volume names must be different even though the physical volume names are the same on the same computer. So when you have copied your root folder of where you have stored your samples from “My HD” into “My HD 1” in your iMac, eject “My HD 1” a.k.a. SSD #2. Now when you insert SSD #2 into your MacBook, it will show as “My HD”.

• colbykeyz

No I named it the exact same but battery cant search for that emoji apparently its trying to search for that vertical rectangle instead as u see in my pic (which i dont know how to type. )

• victorp.sg

Can you take a screenshot each of the root content of SSD #1 and #2 in Finder window?

• colbykeyz

I figured out the paths werent named the same but now Battery 4 every time is searching for samples that were never even a part of my kit. I choose "Abort Loading" and theyre all there and I can play them fine but it makes me do this EVERYTIME I re-open the Logic Pro project. I have tried re-saving the kit in all different formats. Pls help