Kontakt 'It was not possible to save this file in this location.'

modularsamples
modularsamples Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Kontakt

Hi!

I've been having a recurring problem with Kontakt 6, occasionally when saving an instrument I'll get the message:

It was not possible to save this file in this location.

This might be caused by a variety of reasons, including insufficient access rights.

Now, I'm pretty sure this isn't actually a permissions issue. I'd saved the same file in the exact same location 20 mins ago. The same message appears if I try to save it in a different location, desktop for instance. If I open another instrument I can save that without any problems (even the same instrument).

I'm on Big Sur, with a M1 Macbook air.

Any ideas? This is pretty frustrating!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• modularsamples
    Answer ✓

Okay, so I tried coping the groups I'd been working on into another instance of the same instrument which saves correctly..

Kind weird though, right?

Answers

• modularsamples
    Answer ✓

Okay, so I tried coping the groups I'd been working on into another instance of the same instrument which saves correctly..

Kind weird though, right?

• valerianmengsk
    valerianmengsk Member Posts: 20 Member

My old man has a Macbook Pro and encounters the same thing from time to time with anything that saves user files to disc. It's a common Mac bug. We get around it by saving stuff as a new file.

• valerianmengsk
    edited January 2022

*copying

You're triggering me. 🤣

"Coping" is dealing adequately with difficulties. We are coping with Mac's bugged security by copying things into new files. Hahaha!

There have been several updates since the first time we ran into this bug, and it still isn't fixed! Over a few years of time.

• modularsamples

Haha, I'm definitely not coping well with this bug. It came up again and I lost several hrs work when copying crashed Kontakt. Sometimes one looses the will to live, or at least the will to start over with buggy software with a pokey 90's UI (anyone know where I can get a 1280x800 monitor?).

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

1920x1080 will work just fine too and those are everywhere. :)

I wonder if you might be hitting into the zone and/or group count limit in Kontakt (98304 zones, 4096 groups) when attempting to copy then paste. If copying into a fresh empty instrument works, this is indicative of that sort of thing happening.

• modularsamples

Getting standard HD monitor makes a lot of sense for Kontakt development..

No, I'm not quite hitting that limit yet. Looking back, it probably just ran out of memory. Too many windows open or something like that.

By the way, I wanted to thank you for your commitment to the Kontakt scripting community. I can't count the time's I've had a question, googled it and there you are with the answer. Your knowledge has been invaluable!

• valerianmengsk

Awesome, Kointakt crashes if you run out of RAM instead of notifying you that you lack RAM beforehand. Isn't that jolly? That's definitely one for the development team.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Nobody mentioned anything about running out of RAM in this thread, though?

And Kontakt does warn when you're close to reaching the RAM limit. I just tried it. :)