Not good with computers - best way to (re)install?

onetruth
onetruth Member Posts: 10 Member

I've bought a Komplete 13 Ultimate from Select upgrade hard-disk thing, and not sure how best to install it on my Windows PC.

I have Select, Maschine and Traktor installed across two hard-drives (not sure how I managed this as I never meant to have anything on the OS drive, but hey-ho), but I'm getting a new drive I'd like to move/put everything NI on.

I'm tempted to uninstall it all, then install it to the new drive. Is this bonkers? What might be a better way?

I'm not great at navigating this sort of stuff (I needed to phone a friend to work out what kind of drive I needed to buy), so I'd like an EASY solution, even if it means leaving my PC to do its thing for a couple of days while I impatiently wait. I'm also not precious about keeping my existent files - I have no musical talent so there's nothing valuable to lose.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert
    Answer ✓

I'm tempted to uninstall it all, then install it to the new drive. Is this bonkers? What might be a better way?

Not bonkers at all.

If you have things in a bit of a mess and don't know much about what you did/are doing in this case and want to simply setup things clean then doing a complete uninstall first and then carefully checking all your location settings before setting things up again is the best way (IMO).

The good thing is it is far easier to setup your software these days than it was back in the days when I had to install all my Komplete 8 content from the supplied drive first, then update it using the Komplete 9 drive then update it again with Komplete 10 then download the latest updates via control centre.... that was a few days work in itself. Now with the latest Native Access it's all automated and simple, just takes a bit of time to get all that data.

All your personal files (projects, loops/samples etc) should, in reality, all be completely separate from the instrument/content and of course you would be keeping a separate backup of all of this so you don't lose anything. If not, you should really think about doing this since loosing something you worked hard on for months/years because you failed to back it up is a soul crushing experience.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert
    Answer ✓

Not bonkers at all.

If you have things in a bit of a mess and don't know much about what you did/are doing in this case and want to simply setup things clean then doing a complete uninstall first and then carefully checking all your location settings before setting things up again is the best way (IMO).

The good thing is it is far easier to setup your software these days than it was back in the days when I had to install all my Komplete 8 content from the supplied drive first, then update it using the Komplete 9 drive then update it again with Komplete 10 then download the latest updates via control centre.... that was a few days work in itself. Now with the latest Native Access it's all automated and simple, just takes a bit of time to get all that data.

All your personal files (projects, loops/samples etc) should, in reality, all be completely separate from the instrument/content and of course you would be keeping a separate backup of all of this so you don't lose anything. If not, you should really think about doing this since loosing something you worked hard on for months/years because you failed to back it up is a soul crushing experience.

• onetruth
    onetruth Member Posts: 10 Member

That's great, thanks for taking the time.

I'm slightly nervous about it all because I know I tried to install it all sensibly first time round, but what's the worse that could happen? (Please don't answer that, I really don't want to know!)

Thanks again.