[New release] Drop a recipe for pop hits to win an IGNITION KEYS 50 EUR/USD voucher

Comments

• LowBloodSugar
    LowBloodSugar Member Posts: 2 Member

Pop songs (generally) stay in one key, are in 4/4 time, last between three and five minutes, are organized into chunks of four or eight bars, have a repeating chorus played two to four times, include the title sung at least three times, and feature short melodic fragments that repeat a lot. That's what google tells me anyways.

I don't think you really know what will become a hit. Do the best you can and keep learning. If you like how it sounds and it's not part of a formula that doesn't mean it won't work. Keep trying new things.

• ptram
    ptram Member Posts: 10 Member

E Major, without any doubt!

• Reaktfan
    Reaktfan Member Posts: 11 Member

Of course who you know and a good hook

• yoyoyo
    yoyoyo Member Posts: 7 Member

I love native Instruments. It’s gonna be a great companion to my studio! Also, when are you guys going to update battery? Thanks

• DR Beat
    DR Beat Member Posts: 2 Member

Nowadays... Start your track with a catchy chorus that has a great Hook.

Repetition of simplicity is key.

Punchy beat that drives the song along.

Use of popular chord patterns/progressions.

Keep it bright and fun.

Make it your own (add your 'signature trait') to stand out above others but not too far from main stream.

Master the track so it is optimised for all services (i.e. Streaming)

Good promotion/marketing campaign.

And at times... that little bit of luck.

• Christiaan Tinga
    Christiaan Tinga Member Posts: 23 Member

Using SUS2/4 and DIM chords using an unexpected and surprising bass note position within.

• KennyV9
    KennyV9 Member Posts: 16 Member

Formula = solid beat, catchy hook, simple but highly polished instrument parts and refined vocals.

• Adas
    Adas Member Posts: 1 Member

Answer is simple, there is no better key element in pop than melody :)

• parapentep70
    parapentep70 Member Posts: 4 Member

Short, easy, chorus repeated a few times, especially at the end. Just few words amotionally loaded. Chorus should be an anthem, easy to remember.

Simple harmony: I-IV-V7, I-vii-ii-V7 or similar.

(This helps) Tempo: 125 to 135. People dancing at these tempos tend to sync the tempo, the body and the heartrate.

• Haruneko
    Haruneko Member Posts: 2 Member

Recipe for success: great riff/melody, so simple you can easily whistle

• TLaw
    TLaw Member Posts: 6 Member

The key to pop success is having a core song structure, including rhythm, harmony, and melody, that is familiar enough to listeners to ignite their neurons and all the pleasurable hormones associated with them, while also coming up with new sonics and juxtapositions that are fresh to the mind and ear. Joy!

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Formula for pop songs these days is to use stuff people know, samples or melodies from the 80ties, but melodies not too complex. And copy, at least, 50 percent from the last hit, that sounds like all hits before last year.

• dowdag
    dowdag Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2022

For a successful Urban Cross Over Hit you need to use a 808 Bass drum that is tuned to the key of the song - or follows the bass line of the track!

• Tony Dave
    Tony Dave Member Posts: 2 Member

Pop song success recipe: infectious groove and hook.

Peace!

• Jazzpiano11
    Jazzpiano11 Member Posts: 1 Member

Success is a sum of hits as: a great song, production, arrangement, mix and mastering. But one important detail, is paying big time attention to the Sounds used on that song. The sound engineer will get the right results when mixing the right Sounds.

This discussion has been closed.