Getting Old discontinued libraries to work (NI 80s Drums)

chucknkd
chucknkd Member Posts: 10 Member

I have had and loved the NI 80s drums for a long time, but the new(er) version just doesn't sound the same, I know they say its the same samples etc, but the older one had so much more vibe and actually sounded like drums from the 80s (power station, hall & Oates etc). im wondering if there's a way to get this library or the presets to work in a modern version of Kontakt??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod
    Answer ✓

@chucknkd What version of Native Access are you using ? If you wish to activate this library you should use Native Access 2. In Native Access 2 you should turn on the "Legacy" toggle in the Preferences and restart it.AR 80s Drums should then be visible and you can simply use the "Locate" function to point NA to it.

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

If you have it, just try. It could be possible. It is not that old....

• chucknkd

thanks for the reply, I’m not able to add the library to Kontakt, consistently stays in demo. It’s probably over 10 years old and was included in komplete with the likes of the older piano collection that turned into maverick etc., the drums were replaced by the current 80s drums.

• Kubrak

You have to authorise it using Native Access (or Native Access 2). You run NA/NA2 and add licence number for given library, or the bundle it has been part of.

10+ years is not that much....

• Jeremy_NI

@chucknkd It looks like you hadn't a license for 80's drums, it was replaced by 80s drummer since Komplete 8 Ultimate. I added a license for 80s drums on your account, does that get rid of the demo message?

• chucknkd

Hi Jeremy, thanks so much for jumping in on this and thanks for the serial. so I add the serial to native access and it says it takes it and to go to the uninstalled section of NA. I go navigate there and can't find the DRUMS library. I can't see it in the installed products either. when I drag and drop a preset kit from the DRUMS library it still says DEMO.

so maybe halfway there ha?

side note, im still using the library thats been floating from hard drive to hard drive through the years that I got wayyyyyyyyy back (in folder structure form, not any installation files), do I need to do a fresh 'install' or should native access be able to take care of that?

thanks again!

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 491 Pro

It's probably 3 am in Berlin right now, so I'll take a whack at this. I would guess that if you have the correct downloaded content (and it must be downloaded through Native Access), then you might need to point Native Access to wherever that content is. But based on what Jeremy said above, it sounds like you might not have the correct install files.

Oh, and remember, whenever you add a serial to Native Access, you may need to "refresh" for that new instrument to show up as being available for installation. Or you may even need to completely close and restart Native Access.

• chucknkd

BIF, thanks so much for your response! ive tried most of what you have suggested. the biggest issue seems to be that Native Access takes the serial and gives me a green light to go to 'uninstalled products' but it never shows up there, even after refreshing or restarting NA.

still scratching my head:)

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 491 Pro

Yeah, that is odd. And it has been some 11+ hours since you entered the serial; that should have been plenty of time for any kind of server-side synchronization to have been completed. Not sure what to tell you to try next. And it's Saturday in Germany; they probably won't get back to you until Monday at the earliest.

Hey, maybe just for "gits and shiggles", try adding the serial again to Native Access? Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Sorry!

• chucknkd

Thanks again for chiming in, I’ve entered the serial a few times already:) I’m not in a hurry, just want to get it working.

im guessing I might need a plist file like they include for the older piano collection. It makes NA knows it’s there and you can then point it to the lib.

one other little observation, when I drag and drop any of the presets from finder into Kontakt it will load in demo (I’ve yet to have it show up in the left hand library section) and while loading asks for a missing .nkr file which isn’t present in what I have

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@chucknkd What version of Native Access are you using ? If you wish to activate this library you should use Native Access 2. In Native Access 2 you should turn on the "Legacy" toggle in the Preferences and restart it.AR 80s Drums should then be visible and you can simply use the "Locate" function to point NA to it.

• chucknkd

Honestly I have no idea ha, will check when I’m back on the computer and report back!

• Kubrak

If it starts fast, it is NA, if it takes long time, then it is NA2.

• chucknkd

🙌

thanks so much for your help, that did the trick!